Basset Hounds Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I’m sorry – call me crazy – this is just so wrong on too many levels. I have nothing against “mixed” breeds. I have a shi-poo myself because I answered the phone one night to hear “Jennifer, you gotta help out this woman and buy her dog… LOL – But to have a mix breed out there where they breed a “large” breed with a “small” one – that’s just wrong. There are too many irresponsible breeders out there to trust they would have the mother be the larger dog. UGH – that’s it I’m done – not going to go on a rant today – it’s too nice a day for it. I’ll just go give my guys a big fat hug instead.

Jen~

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with you Jen...it is wrong to do this on purpose. I am just thankful in my case my friend had both dogs and we know exactly who the mom is and who the dad is because they are the only 2 dogs she has, well she did keep one of their puppies. I only had to give her $20 for the puppy....not a designer breed price at all. After reading a lot of the posts on here I am finding out my Triton is really taking after the bassets....they are great dogs! I did make sure she will not have any puppies and got her spayed as soon as the vet said it was okay. I would love to get a Basset hound some day when I am ready for a second dog.

·
Registered
697 Posts
some of the best things in life are our mistakes, but yeah Jen i totally agree, the people that breed this way to make money clearly shouldnt be allowed to breed. Triton is not only gorgous but what a great name. I hope you and Triton have a bundle of fun together!

·
Registered
767 Posts
We have a puggle named Yogi that we got when Maggie Maes best friend our poodle had to be put down. Yogi was given to us as a pup from the people across the street. They gave all the puppies away and didn't even know it was a designer dog. The lady had the Beagle and the man the Pug. When the couple split up they each kept their own dog so no more puppies.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You know I think puggle's are very cute dogs. I fostered one a little more than a year ago. He was so cute, I have to say I kinda wanted to keep him but my husband didn't want to. The little stink was a big pigeon killer. He made short order out of the young ones learning to fly. Then my Pit would eat them. Gess what a pair.

I don't have a big problem with people breeding if they are trying to better a breed or even trying to come up with a different breed for a purpose. We wouldn't have good pure bred dogs without them. But you do it right like Bubbad or other breeders and not have several liters. That's a big red flag to me. It's my understanding that the Labradoodle was being bred to try and get a service dog for people with allergies. In this case I think it is ok. I can't say I have a big problem with crossing dogs to get something you want like for working. Allot of people around here like a working dog that is 1/2 border collie and 1/2 blue heeler. They think it makes a better cow dog. They could be right, not sure. But to do it to just make money is not caring about the dogs. And I'm not saying that they maybe don't take care of the dogs I just would have to say I bet they don't care who gets the dogs and allot of them end up in bad homes. And that's whats just wrong about it. And to charge so much for them, well I guess people are really dumb because I sure wouldn't pay that for one. But I would pay a good price for a well bred pure breed dog as I know some of them put a lot of money into there dogs and they are doing it to better the breed.

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
Labradoodle was being bred to try and get a service dog for people with allergies. In this case I think it is ok
that is the case however it has not worked out so well and there are still breedered trying to create a breed that does breed true for the traits but it has been an up hill battle.

In England and else where purpose breeding a Sight hound with any other breed is called a "lurcher" a practice that has been around for ages.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I feel like my town is being over run by labradoodles. Everywhere I look I see them this may sound bad but I love the way pure breeds look. I have a mixed bag because there are several breeds I love. I adore the way pur bred bassets look my husband and I have always been crazy for their long ears and low slung bodies and droopy sad eyes. I love seeing a fit muscular basset you don't get to see to many bassets around here but the few that have them keep them in fantastic shape. I did rescue my chihuahua but if I had not found him I would have had no problem going to a breeder. I love the way lots of people's mixed breeds look like for me I like to know what they will look like when they are older. Also I love many of my breeds personality traits that you can possible get by mix breeding but may not. I think that intentionally breeding all the mixes that they are doing now is ridiculous. They are just throwing different breeds together and not making sure there is a benefit to this.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
that is the case however it has not worked out so well and there are still breedered trying to create a breed that does breed true for the traits but it has been an up hill battle.

Yep that's my understanding as well. But the thought behind it was for a purpose not to just come up with a designer dog to see if it would sell.

I may be a snob also because I to like the looks of a purebred dog. However I have seen some crosses that are very good ones and think maybe I would love to have them. But I think when it's a purebred if it is well bred you can sort of know what kind of personality it will have. If it is a mix I would think all bets are off.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
When I was looking for a puppy I came across for an ad on ebay classifieds. Puppies were mother (bullmastiff) and father (miniature dachshund). The puppies were adorable, but then all puppies are. Don't know if it was an accident or not but can't quite imagine them accomplishing this without help...but then maybe determination won out.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
When I was looking for a puppy I came across for an ad on ebay classifieds. Puppies were mother (bullmastiff) and father (miniature dachshund). The puppies were adorable, but then all puppies are. Don't know if it was an accident or not but can't quite imagine them accomplishing this without help...but then maybe determination won out.

never underestimate the perseverence of a male dog near a female in season... :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Someone was telling me they have a lab/ basset mix. He said he had the body just like a basset and a lab head he must have been adorable. That must have been an interesting mating. I saw a show o designer dogs on animal planet it just seems people are just throwing breeds together to make a new dog they can charge over $1000 for. I can understand some have a purpose but I cannot understand how mixed breeds can cost such a fortune. Seems like a money thing for many of these breeders a dog that costs more than the purebreds they are mixing it with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a basset shih tzu mix dog

I just found this forum, so this reply is a few months too late. We adopted a puppy who was surrendered to an animal shelter along with his brothers and sisters and basset hound mom. The owners had a female basset and a male shih tzu and hadn't bothered to get either animal fixed in time. When their basset had the puppies, they decided to drop her and the puppies off and keep the shih tzu. Sad, but the good news is we got to adopt our precious boy, Coby (in my photo).

I really wish I had adopted one of his brothers or sisters because I doubt we'll ever come across this mix again and he is the most wonderful dog in the world! (says a proud mom) He's got the basset long body, short legs, long ears and a long nose, but his face is softened by all that hair. He's also a big boy....56 pounds! He's the perfect blend of big dog and small dog with a funny, laid back personality, but he loves to play with toys and chase. He's definitely a hound and follows that big nose when we're outside.

I can't imagine what one would look like where the mom was the smaller dog, though...poor mommy dog!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi and welcome Coby's Mom! My Maggie is supposedly 1/2 basset and 1/2 pointer, and she sure looks the part, colored like a pointer (she even points!) with a long body, short but refined legs (not heavy basset legs) but long ears. Makes me wonder which was the mom and which was the dad in her case.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I feel like my town is being over run by labradoodles.
I moved from a suburb of Nashville to a suburb of Chicago...BIG difference in breed preferences. We have a ton of Labradoodles and Goldendoodles (minis and full size) up here and very few of the traditional guard dog breeds north of Chicago (aside from pitts, but they seem to be mostly in the city...less popular in the northern burbs). But there were a ton of guard dog breeds in Nashville area.

I have a ton of clients with purebreds and designer breeds. They can afford them up here! I do know that many of them are rescues. At least one comes to mind that was rescued from a puppy mill and nearly died from an unattended illness.

A lot of the 'doodles are minis, but all the ones I know had full-sized lab mother and mini father to reduce the risk of crossing large-small breeds. I'm not for intentional cross breeding except in cases of allergies, I can understand needing a hypoallergenic breed. But it must be done responsibly with a larger mother and smaller father.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad's dog (English Sheep Dog) and grandma's dog (wiener type) hadone and a half litters before the little one was fixed. Didn't seem to bother those two! I may have a shih tuz Basset hound mix. He is eighteen months old. He has the hound dog hole and big dog energy. Learns pretty quickly, but likes to pretend he doesn't understand what you want sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at a shih tzu/basset hound mix puppy. Am not certain if this is a good mix or not. I can't find much info on internet and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them. Would appreciate any feedback.
I have a Tzu Bassett named Snickers. She will be 14 years old on April 8th. Snickers is a loyal, loving, stubborn, fun girl who loves walking in parks, trails and chasing squirrels/bunnies/etc. The only issues we have encountered are some skin issues due to allergies and ears must be clean or she can easily get ear infections with the longer ears. All in all, she is a beautiful part of our family!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts