Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I went fishing at the river a couple of miles from our house yesterday afternoon. Copper of course went with us because he loves to ride in the boat, well when we were leaving my husband said look at that. I looked over and saw a little face looking back. Someone had thrown a dog out[there is a trash pile there]. We brought Copper home and took back some food. When I got there she was still there, she was covered in ticks and fleas, dirty,scared and the skinniest dog, her ribs and hip bones are sticking out when she came to me after much sweet talk she actually crawled on her belly. Needless to say I brought her home, put her in a kennel outside away from all my babies. I just got home from the vet, she is time there, I forgot to mention that she developed terrible diarria today. I only fed her small amounts. The vet said he thinks she has every parasite known to man. He is also going to give her a flea bath. She has some raw patches and he said he would test for mange but he thinks it is the flea. I am sorry this is so long but it just makes me so mad that someone would throw her out like trash. As sick as she was she kept wagging her tale and licking my hand at the vets.

I picked her up from the vet this afternoon. He wormed her ,got the rest of the ticks off and got the diarria under control. She has to go back monday to be dipped and until then she has to be isolated from the rest of the dogs{probably best anyway they are such tanks and she is so frail}The vet said she was too weak to dip today and with the diarria it would be best to come back monday. He gave me some prescription dog food that should help. She is such a sweet girl she curled up in my lap while I drove home. Here are a few pics I took this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
:shock: I would rather think she was a stray who just got sick while going through trash, than to think some person could have left her there. That would be unspeakably cruel.

Thank you for saving that poor creature, whatever the case. I hope she has a lovely, pampered life from this point on. Please keep us posted!

Sandy

·
Registered
134 Posts
OMG!! I am so glad you brought her home with you. What has become of mankind? Why must we be so cruel? I have such a difficult time with issues such as this that I almost want to start my own hunting party - if you know what I mean. Bless you. Please keep us updated on her progress and what happens with her.

Lynne & Huck

·
Registered
813 Posts
Poor puppy! Are you going to be able to keep her yourself? Vets can do wonders with flea baths and such, I'm sure she'll be as good as new in no time, the poor baby. Even if someone didn't leave her there, someone somewhere failed to take care of her properly or she wouldn't have been there. She's SO lucky you found her! And here I thought, when I saw the subject line, that it was going to be a funny photo of someone's basset who'd climbed into the trash bin.

·
Registered
127 Posts
God bless you for finding her! Abandonment is cruel, but I found this horrible website Called www.Pet-abuse.com It profiles news stories about pet abuse, it certainly makes people aware but the stories of what people are capable of is horrifying. I wish we still had marshal law or could be vigilante, If I ever met anyone actively abuseing an animal I shudder to think how enraged I would become.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just talked to my exgirlfriend who also just rescued a pup on a road with a garbage dump on it. I assume someone dropped off the pup at the dump, and it wandered onto the road. The stretch of road is EXTREMELY dangerous for animals, there is a stone quarry on the same road with tons of huge trucks, and lots of traffic going way too fast. Turns out it is an Airedale pup that is only a few weeks old, and is extremely lucky she found him. I feel bad for animals sometimes because we just kind of dispose of them as if they are a piece of trash.

S

·
0 Posts
Bless you. You are a wonderful person. Even if you cannot keep her you have given her a second chance. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
773 Posts
As sick as she was she kept wagging her tale and licking my hand at the vets.
Her way of saying thank you. These poor mites, left to fend for themselves. I hope the rest of her life is better from here on out......

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Two thumbs up for you!
People can be sooo selfish at times. I'm glad that you took the dog home and take her to a vets. I would do the same.
I hope she gets better soon. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You are one special person to go back and rescue that little face in the trash pile. She is so fortunate you guys came along, and hopefully she will have a speedy recovery and find a wonderful forever home.
Our niece walked by a trash can some years back and heard whimpering noises. She took off the lid and found a small mixed breed puppy tied up in a garbage bag. This trash baby became their baby and was a wonderful loving companion for their family for over 15 years. How people can be so cruel is beyond my comprehension.

Arooos from Bogie!
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!

that is so awsome that you were there and willing to help.

we have had some awful dog abuse here lately some guy beat his dog to death and then just the other day some people were camping out with a dog tied to thier boat trailer then decsided to drive off with the dog still tied to the trailer and dragged it for 3 miles then cut it off and left it to die, it had to be put to sleep, can't imagine what kind of pain those poor babies went through. sometimes humanes can be sooo mean. but glad to see there are those (like you) go the extra mile to help those who can not help themselves.

keep us updated.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Please keep us posted - she is so lucky you found her............. :)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
That's very nice done of you - good there's some taking care of animals, it's too many who's not.

Keep us informed - I hope this will go well, drool and prayers coming! :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bless you and may she recover quickly. She looks very skinny but has the right colors for a house with hounds. So glad you found her.

·
Registered
813 Posts
She looks like a darling sweet girl. I'm sure with the love and care she's getting now she's going to be just fine and you'll have a wonderful companion for life. Have you named her yet?

·
Registered
183 Posts
She looks like such a sweetheart. Thank's for taking care of her. I just can't stand cruelty to man nor beast!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree with everyone

She looks like a sweet lass and you are a wonderful person for taking her in. Best of luck to you both.

One of the reasons to keep her isolated is to keep your other dogs safe in case she has distemper or some other disease too!

Lou

·
Registered
335 Posts
Bless you for saving that dog, she's a pretty girl, I'm glad you found her. :cry: Such a sad story, but a lucky day for that dog!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts