Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Lucy is now 6 months old. Just shy of 40 pounds! Sooooo cute and SMART! We really got a good puppy here. Our only beef is she is having some potty training issues. Other than that, she is just a gem. :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Lucy is lovely and I'm sure she will soon become house-trained. Bassets aren't always very quick learners.. our quickest learning pups have been when they have got an adult Basset to copy toilet habits from but our two sisters we got at the same time didn't have an adult so took longer to learn... one (Lucie) was much quicker than Lottie and Lucie has always scratched at the door to ask to go out, whereas Lottie never has so we have to keep our eye on her to see if we can spot when she needs a wee. Ours may have taken longer (Lottie peeing indoors for much longer than Lucie) because of being spayed at exactly 6 months... or so people tell us!

·
Registered
761 Posts
She's absolutely beautiful! She'll get the hang of potty training. Doppler was pretty quick to potty train but Virga took a little longer. What helped us was putting a bell on Virga so she couldn't sneak off and pee somewhere else in the house. But Lucy will get it eventually just keep at it! And good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh my, Lucy is beautiful!

Ours may have taken longer (Lottie peeing indoors for much longer than Lucie) because of being spayed at exactly 6 months... or so people tell us!
sophieB, may I ask why their being spayed at 6 months would make house training take longer? I think house training is going to be the end of me; my 3 month old is clueless! So should she be spayed before or after 6 months?

Thanks!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think house training is going to be the end of me; my 3 month old is clueless!
House training with bassets can take longer than other dogs. It's not uncommon for them to take 6-8 months maybe even longer. As Mikey T says, it's because it takes longer for them to mature with bladder sphincter control. The best thing is to get them started on a schedule, going out every 2-3 hours and immediately upon waking up, after eating/drinking and after play times. Young bassets can usually hold it for as many hours as they are months old (e.g. 3 months = 3 hours). This is just a rule of thumb as yours may be different. Just keep with the routine and it will get easier over time. And remember accidents will happen but eventually your pup will get the hang of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! :) She is soooo good when it comes to everything else. :) I'm also curious why you should wait to get them fixed. We just had her spayed last Friday at just under 6 months. Doh! I might try the bell, that is a great idea! Thanks to everyone on complimenting her. She is just so cute, and wrinkly, and "squishy". LOL Everything we wanted in a Basset. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts