Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:blink: :blink:

First, let me say, I'd post pictures of Bailey, but my camera has given out, and I haven't had time to get a new one.

But I swear, she's some newfangled breed, namely Miniature Redbone. She looks *exactly* like a redbone coonhound, but she's smaller. Although she is very leggy and her feet are huge, so it's possible the vet estimated her age wrong - although I don't see how, given the vet's first records on her date back to June.

In any case, she's an absolutely lovely girl, extremely affectionate and very intelligent, and Yogi is so, so proud to be seen with her. :)

The only problem is, she's eating the sofa. I honestly don't mind all that much. Just a few months ago, I was thinking it was time for a new sofa. But I would like to get a new sofa on my own time, and not because she's eaten the entire thing before my eyes.

So ... how do I get her to stop? Would spraying it with a hot pepper spray work?

She also likes to stand on the living room table and can jump straight up a good 2-3', but those things are so funny, I don't mind much.

But I do want her to stop eating the sofa. :blink:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
http://www.mypets.net.au/flex/redbone_coonhound/490/1

You made me curious so I googled redbone coonhounds and got the above link- wow! what beautiful dogs! I can't wait to see a picture of Bailey!

As far as the couch- maybe someone else has an idea that will help, but in my experience once a dog gets obsessed with something like that, keeping her away from it when you're not there to correct her is the best way to go- my animals have always thought of sour apple and pepper sprays as condiments-

(Here's a quote from that link:

"Conversely, young coonhounds are energetic and need lots of activity, or they will become destructive. This can lead to acting out in the form of chewing and baying. They take a longer time to train than some other breeds.")

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Give Bailey lots and lots of exercise, long walks, romps in the yard, and chew toys, bones, bully sticks, etc. to chew on. Every time you see her chewing on an appropriate toy praise her and tell her what a good girl she is. When you see her chewing on the sofa tell her firmly"NO!" and walk her away from the sofa, and give her a toy, bone, etc. that she can chew on. When she puts it in her mouth praise her, pet her and tell her what a good girl she is. This will take lots of repetition until she learns what is OK to chew on. If you aren't home, when she does this you will need to crate her or confine her to a area where she can't get to the couch.
Can't wait to see some pictures of Bailey.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
My German Shepherd did the same thing to the love seat. Just when I thought I could trust him in the house! I went upstairs to take a shower one day and left him in the living room with Yogi with a gate across the stairs so he could not come up. All the sudden I had an alarm go off in my head and came downstairs to see Gunny eating the love seat! I was so mad at him but at the same time concerned about the amount of foam he ate so I put in a call to the vet. He did pass the foam so I guess he was lucky! I did spray it with different things to deter him from that and it didn't seem to work so I ended up putting him back in the crate when I could not actively supervise him. He was pretty tough to break with chewing and those sprays must have been like candy to him! Provide lots of chew toys and maybe crate him when you can't watch him. My dogs don't get the run of the house all at one time. A system of gates is in place and they get introduced to one room at a time and eventually upstairs when they are fully trustworthy. Yogi on the other hand only ever chewed a very small piece of the carpet.
Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I was hoping to avoid the crate, but crate it is. There isn't really any way to set up a series of gates, as the main living area is open, and I'm not comfortable confining her to a separate room.

But great suggestions! Keep them coming!

What is it with dogs and foam? :huh:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Cuddy and Indy like to destuff all the dog beds... we ended up gating them away from them when no one can watch. We just bought a very expensive heated bed for our elderly brittany... it gets put up every morning... My Cuddy will eat anything including out stairs! Best of luck with your sweet girl!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hmmm. When Lightning ate my sofa (and chair), I got Stomps to keep him company. But you've already got two, so I'm stumped! But I feel your pain, for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She's a little wild woman, Lightening! Cute, but just a little wild woman!

At the moment, she's hanging upside down trying to bite her newest nemesis: her tail. :D

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's a little wild woman, Lightening! Cute, but just a little wild woman!

At the moment, she's hanging upside down trying to bite her newest nemesis: her tail. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts