Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlotte has been shedding quite a bit for almost 2 weeks now, I mean clumps of hair coming off around her tush. Hair coat doesn't seem to be thining and she doesn't have any bear patches but she seems to be losting quite a bit of hair. Is that normal for a basset? If so is it normal for them to go through a big shed this time of year? Its been a really cold Dec here in DC and I don't want her to be without her natural protection.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Bassets definitely do shed a lot, and twice a year they shed even more.
Depending on her age, she could also be shedding out her puppy coat.
As long as you're not seeing thin/bald spots or signs of skin irritation there's no need to worry.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
twice a year they shed even more.
the typical biannual shed can also be effected by travel My mothers hounds travel north from florida so the seam to have 3 some time 4 do to the climate change and the changes in daylight length.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for posting this- been wondering about this myself. Seems we have white and brown hair everywhere these days. I feel like I'm wearing a dog hair shirt most of the time. Been thinking about trying some VitaCoat Plus to see if that helps reduce the shedding, but beyond bathing and brushing, I'm not sure what the solution is. My mom mentioned that she used to give their dalmatian some 'glue pills' to help with shedding and I'm guessing they were something similar to the VitaCoat Plus.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Bathing, brushing and a healthy diet - that's about it.
I like to use a rubber Zoom Groom when bathing to scrub the dog - it really helps to loosen the dead coat.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
yup pickem'up and put em' in .Is she afraid of the footing? Some do not like the slippery surface and in that case put a towel or rubber mat in the bottom of the tub . If she doesn't like the water ,well,thats tough. I can't lift either one of mine so I put the front feet up first then lift the back end up and over they go. Esa loves warm water and will almost fall asleep in the tub. Anyway,as far as sheeding is concerned there are a lot of products out there to help with that try, Cherry Brook(it is a dog product company) or just put," dog grooming," into your search engin and a whole lot of stores will come up. For me, besides using a hound glove or shedding stone ,I bath them ,meanig I shampoo them several times till less and less hair is produced in the tub, up to 5-6 times if needed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Charlie is losing tons of hair too! Right around the tush area:) It's crazy.. we groom her every day. I don't know where it's all coming from! ha!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have bathed her twice and she is getting daily brushings with a fine tooth comb and it has worked wonders, her coat is back to shiny healthy softness and not so much shedding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts