Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Miss Daisy about 8 weeks ago from SPCA. Her foster mom kept her outside or in an unheated building. We keep her inside most of the day and at night. When we got her the shedding was minimal. In the past several weeks her shedding has increased greatly. I need your advice and recommendations...PLEASE. I would appreciate your help and advice before my wife puts me in the doghouse !!

Miss Daisy's Driver (and sweep upper)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi ya,

I'll be interested in shedding too. i read that hounds shed constantly but the rate does seem to vary with Basil, almost whenever i stroke him hairs just come out lots. Do they have a winter/summer coat? could the fact it got colder and so heating coming on has sped the shedding or would that just be my imagination? Being outdoorsy dogs do they prefer it cold to warm or hot and its this that affects shedding rates?

Ta for any thoughts on the matters!

Nat

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Basset Hounds shed profusely and constantly. Twice a year they shed even more.

The only thing that will *reduce* (not stop) the shedding is frequent brushing and a high quality diet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basset Hounds shed profusely and constantly. Twice a year they shed even more.

The only thing that will *reduce* (not stop) the shedding is frequent brushing and a high quality diet.[/b]
Thank you!! I am brushing Miss Daisy several times daily. I feed her dry food twice daily and give her some canned meat three times a week. (She is not fat but on the heavy side at 45 lbs.) She is going on 6 years of age and is not very active.

Please advise what you think is a high quality diet. All advice is greatly appreciated.

Miss Daisy and her driver Fritz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts