Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the shedding always going to be this bad? Last year at this time we only had Sadie and she really doesn't shed very much, I remember everyone here talking about how bad bassets shed and I didn’t think it was much different then any other dog we have had. Sadie’s fur is very different then Max's fur. Sadie's fur is shorter and not so fluffy and she really doesn’t shed very much. Max's fur is longer and fluffier and is shedding like crazy. I could sit outside all day brushing him and get a bag full of hair that you would think he would be bald but he still sheds like crazy. When I brush Sadie I don't get very much hair at all. Thank goodness Sadie doesn’t shed like Max or I would go insane trying to keep the hair vacuumed. Does it eventually calm down or will he shed like this all summer?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi
Brandy sheds all year long. Charlie(GA) only shed bad during the spring, but he shed all year too, no where near as much as Brandy. I always tell Brandy she shouldn't be shedding her winter coat during the winter but she doesn't listen. I took her to the vets last week and my work out pants were absolutely covered in fur but she was nervous and they shed more then. Brandy also has a waxy fur it is better than it use to be. She had surgery last Wednesday and has shaved areas on her back and all of her lower stomach, and I can see the fur is already starting to grow back. Last year my orange cat was shaved for an ultrasound and it took forever for his fur to grow back. So I am assuming the reason she sheds so much is her fur replaces much faster than the norm.

Stephanie

·
Registered
782 Posts
Oh, brother! Does Francis ever shed!! I like to wear a lot of black as it compliments my fake, bleachy blond hair :lol: and I must go through 2 of those sticky rollers a month.
When it gets out of control I use a shedding comb out in the backyard and my yard looks like it's snowed. See Betsy's picture in the Health and Genetics section of the forum. It looks awfully familiar!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got this stuff (cannot think of what it is called right now, but I can look later if you want to know) that I spray on to Copper's food. It has made a huge difference. It doesn't interfere with the regular shedding cycle, so right now we have fur everywhere, but I used to be able to knit myself a basset puppy every day year-round from the excess fur.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts