Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Last January we got a new family member. Daisy! She was born Thanksgiving last year!
I travel over the summer with my children, but Daisy was home with my husband. When we came home after our trip (end of August) I noticed Daisy was shedding like crazy. Now we owned a Lab too, so I am used to fur, but it is to the point we can't even pet her because so much fur flies off and gets in your face and everything.
So shortly before we left she was spayed. Then my husband switched her over to a new adult food. I am wondering if either of these things can be contributed to her massive shedding. Since I came home I have been brushing her regularly, but it hasn't made a difference yet.
Any help or insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The first time Murray shed, around Daisy's age, he totally blew out his coat- I never saw so much hair in my life, and it seemed like it would ever end!

That never happened again- his shedding is pretty moderate now.

Maybe you'll be lucky-

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
The first time Murray shed, around Daisy's age, he totally blew out his coat- I never saw so much hair in my life, and it seemed like it would ever end!

That never happened again- his shedding is pretty moderate now.

Maybe you'll be lucky-[/b]
for the typical basset it works like this they loose their entire coat once a week unless during the two seasonal shed season in which they turn over the coat multiple times a day. :rolleyes: Bassets shed, bassets sheds alot. Compared to bassets most other short hair breeds are non-sheding.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I vacuum once a week, more often if company is coming. My house looks like Death Valley with all the fur tumbleweeds.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
This time of year, dogs shed A LOT in preparation for the winter. Just last night I was marveling at how much hair was coming off the dogs, with them just sitting there! They always shed a lot, but this time of year is particularly bad. And they shed a lot when stressed, too. But the surgery was a while ago, so that probably doesn't have anything to do with it. I tried to get the dogs to let me vaccuum them directly. Stomps is pretty good about it, but Lightning will have no part of that scheme.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LMAO!! I tried to shorten my Lab's coat when I was much younger with clippers. Some how I thought shorter hair would be better for shedding or something!??!
I guess I will just learn to love 'fur sweaters' again!
She didn't shed 1/4 as much before I went for the summer, but I can take my Zoom Groom (or whatever it is called) and get it filled in about 3 swipes!! Just sitting there she has loose hair all over her back...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:D Boy, do Bassets shed!! Just comes with the breed, but she is probably shedding her puppy fur as well. As Lighting and Stomps said they seem to really shed before growing in their winter coats. We use the "Zoom Groom" plus a shedding blade, which is like a bent skinny saw blade doubled over with leather handles. The zoom groom seems to take care of the longer stiffer hair and the shedding blade really helps with the softer downy like undercoat. We try to keep Bogie Carter brushed at least every other day which really helps, plus you learn to vaccuum alot!! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh, losing her puppy coat might make sense. She is shedding more than I have ever seen a dog shed. We had a shedding blade for our lab too, I must look for a new one.

Has anyone ever tried those expensive things, called something like Furminator?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Bassets DO shed like crazy, twice a year they shed even more!

However, any stress can also cause hair loss, such as surgery or changing diet. The fact that she is 10 months and probably changing from her puppy coat to her adult coat could also be contributing.

I suggest a nice, warm bath using a Zoom Groom as a scrubber. That will help to loosen and remove a lot of the hair. Other than that, a quality diet and regular brushing are about all you can do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts