Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old bassett who is shedding in chunks from his hind quarters. It almost looks like when ducks are in the molting process. I wondered if this is normal? He does not itch and we have not changed his diet. I also wondered what you all thought about Diamond Lamb and Rice dog food and bassetts? I wonder if he could be having a food allergy.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
As long as he's not developing bald spots, it sounds like a normal seasonal shed. A shedding blade really helps remove a lot of that undercoat. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Betsy. Is the undercoat shorter than his other hair? He is not developing bald spots but it is amazing how much hair he is losing.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
The undercoat is the finer hair that tends to come out in clumps when you use a slicker brush or shedding blade. Here's a picture of my backyard after a session with the shedding blade--all that hair came off the little dog with the black ears! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Betsy, that is what Max looks like. Thank you for the picture and settling my concerns about him. I will invest in a shedding blade.

By the way, your dogs are beautiful.

have a great day!

·
Registered
782 Posts
This is the shedding season and I've got tumbleweeds of dog fur all around the house.

·
Registered
773 Posts
This is the shedding season and I've got tumbleweeds of dog fur all around the house.[/b]

Sprinkle them with glitter and call them decorations ;) ! I have the same little 'friends' all over my house right now, too......

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sprinkle them with glitter and call them decorations ;) ! I have the same little 'friends' all over my house right now, too......[/b]
Same here. I was afraid at first, until I talked to my breeder and she told me Fred's parents shed and as long as he doesn't have bald patches, he's okay.

I just pick up the tumbleweeds of hair every day. LOL

·
Registered
932 Posts
We brush the dogs outside - every bird's nest for miles around contain dog hair. They literally line up for it :lol:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Our entire yard is full of fur too! We used to put the shedded fur into the wrungs of the chain link fence at one of our other homes over the years. There's scores of birds nests all over the country lined in fur.

And yesterday I saw a huge crow come into the yard and fly out with a ton of fur in it's beak. At first I thought it was an animal; nope...it was Ruby's shedded fur.

:lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
OMG the decorations comment made me giggle all morning??? my little girl's belly actually IS pretty bald although her coat is beautiful and shiney now that the chunks have been brushed off!!!!....that's normal, yes???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with supplements or pills that are supposed to slow shedding? It seems unhealthy and unnatural to me - but my allergist recommended it. Any suggestions would be helpful - and NO, the dog is staying with me!

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
never seen one work however depending on the quality of food you are feeding supplimenting with fish oil can help some dogs with a dry coat, but it will not prevent shedding. Keep in mind all short hair dogs have a natural rethym of hair growth at is not going to be effected by any herbal supplement.
Skin & Hair Anatomy & Function in Dogs

hair vs Fur

It is my understanding that it is dander, not hair that most humans are allergic to. Basset hounds a higher incidence of a genetic disorder than is common in the general population of a disease that cause skin cell to turn over faster than usual. This will create much more dander than normal. The condition is called Primary Idopathic Seborrhea

Primary seborrhea
Affected dogs commonly have a dull coat with excessive scaling, a greasy feel and smell to the skin (especially in areas of body folds), smelly waxy ears which may be infected, thickening of the foot pads, and dry brittle claws. Some breeds (West Highland white terrier, cocker spaniel, springer spaniel, Basset hound, Shar-pei) are more prone to the greasy form of seborrhea (seborrhea oleosa) with chronic ear infections and greasy skin,

IMHO it is underdiagnosed in the breed I would check with your vet, or one specializing in dermatology. There is no cure but control is possible with frequent bathing (shampoo therapy) with and anti-seborrheaic shampoo like Selsun Blue in which the shampoo must remain in contact with the skin for at least 15 minutes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shedding, Moulting

Thank you for the info - I think I am going to start carding and spinning all that hair, and make nice xmas gifts!

·
Registered
1 Posts
furminator

I know, Old post but this is worth it. For those that are looking for a great tool for dealing with shedding I reccomend the "Furminator". If you arent familiar with it, it is really worth the time checking it out. Anytime I ask seasoned breeders, competetors, or vets what to use on my hounds, 4 out of 5 will refer me to this system. I have been using it for a year or so now and I wont use anything else.

FURminator

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have the medium size, and it works very well on Lightning. I bought it new and in the package off eBay and paid less than half the normal retail cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My bassett is shedding a LOT and just read through all your articles and have ordered the furminator. We moved to the Tampa, FL area from Va at the beginning of the summer and the shedding increased considerably because of the heat/weather change. We are seeing that she occassionally gets red at her underarms/her front leggs and her belly, it is a skin irritation. I have some spray that we got from the vet. I don't know what's causing it though, it comes and goes and the vet didn't say what it was.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts