Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lily is 7 1/2 basset. She's been shedding a ton...all the time and has dandruff . Vet said to give her fish oil. Doesnt seem tovbe making a difference. She eats Rachael Ray dog food. Also smelling too but vet says shes fine at the office? Any suggestions for dietary changes or anything else? Annual check up was fine. We've had her since she was abt 12 or 13 weeks old.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Lily is 7 1/2 basset. She's been shedding a ton...all the time and has dandruff . Vet said to give her fish oil. Doesnt seem tovbe making a difference. She eats Rachael Ray dog food. Also smelling too but vet says shes fine at the office? Any suggestions for dietary changes or anything else? Annual check up was fine. We've had her since she was abt 12 or 13 weeks old.

Is this a recent development?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably abt 3 months? Not drastic shedding but def constant. Smelling again quickly after going to the groomer too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that we know of. We've kept her on same dog food for sometime since she's always done so well on it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If she has allergies, the first thing you need to do is eliminate anything that could be an allergen, especially food and treats.

Your vet should be working with you to get her on a hypoallergenic diet and eliminate everything even remotely suspected to be an allergen. Once things clear up to your satisfaction, then slowly add things back until the issues reoccur.

The process takes some effort, but the results are worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
not allergies and nothing fish oil is going to fix

1,. basset shed a lot and during the biannual shedding season coat trurnover spring and fall it will be horrendous,

2. Dandruff usual associate in bassets in conduction with an oilly coat but sometime rarely with a excessively dry coat. IMHO 95% of the time maybe higher a basset with dandruff has a genetic condition known as Seborrhea. There is no cure and can only be controlled via shampoo therapy with anti shebborheaic shampoo like Selsun Blue and some cases need Coal tar based shampoo. see

https://www.marvistavet.com/diet-and-the-skin.pml

note Fish oil is rich in omega 3 not omega 6 oil

Seborrhea in Cats and Dogs

https://wagwalking.com/condition/skin-disease-canine-seborrhea

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most trobles with fur and skin that develops "unexpectedly" definitely have to be caused by some kind of trigger that you may even don't notice or won't even get thought that it could be a reason. One of my cats once got сystitis that was caused by stress while spring branch cutting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts