Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight after I returned home from class, I took Jackie outside and she did her business (both #1 and #2). I played with her for a few minutes and then I had to get started on my homework so I left her gated in the dining room.

About twenty minutes later I started smelling this horrible stench... :roll: I got up to check on Jackie to make sure she wasn't sick and found her eating her own poo. I got a big chunk :shock: out of her mouth but there were smears on the floor from other chunks? I hate to be so graphic but I'm worried that this will make her sick? Should I be worried? This is the first time she has gone after her own poo. I will be back in a while but I have to go mop the floor again. :(

·
Registered
939 Posts
nah... it tastes good!!!!! don't knock it until you try it!!!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Apparently it's nothing to worry about. My daisy doesn't eat her own poo but she will eat any other animals poo she can find- not dog's but bird, rabbit and cow poo seem to taste lovely to her.

Also, i work with a women who owned a Beagle ( until it died recently at the age of 16) anyways, her dog loved to eat it's own poo. in fact the way she describes it, because the dog knew she wasn't allowed to, she would spin around as fast as possible after taking a crap and try to eat it before she got caught. haha you can just picture it lol

anyways this dog at it's own poo all its life and didn't suffer at all from it.

So, even though it's not a pleasent picture, i don't think you have to worry about Your Daisy getting physically ill over this issue- although you very well might... lol :lol:

~Jessica

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't think it's anything that will hurt her. My brothers puppy used to eat her poop and the vet told him it's a behavior problem. Some people have thought it to mean they were lacking something nutritional but the vet told him that wasn't true, it's behavior and you have to correct them like you would any other undesirable behavior.

·
Registered
939 Posts
ok i'm done joking around now. how old is this animal that we are talking about? i have noticed over the years that a food that is fed that is not digested good has been part of the problem. My Beagle and Brittany, 33 months old and 14 YEARS old get 190 Grams of a high end feed a day, my Basset , 24 months old gets 300 grams of the same food. All dogs have firm black stools, that is telling me they are digesting what they are getting. Except for a few times when the beagle was a pup and the basset was a pup did they do this,and both times it was with the puppy food they were getting,when i breed my basset i'll be trying a different puppy chow and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
my vet told us to put meat tenderizer on their food and that would discourage them from eating it. I don't know if it will work or not. Charlie will still do it. Drives me nuts.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i heard they do this as they can smell the food that they had eaten perviously?

my snoopy never does it but if we give her doogy chocolate treats she eats her own poo (or tries to before we spot her and tell her off!) i think is cos she can smell something she likes so wants some more of them.

have you fed him anything different in the last 24 hours?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think everything is better this morning, so far Jackie has not tried to eat her poo. After reading everyone's responses I think she ate it because I had been working on her puppy class training and so she had ate a lot of treats and she LOVES these treats so she probably smelled them and had to have a second serving :roll: :oops: Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The only poop that Ruby eats is the basset delicacy of cat and rabbit poop. I remember having to do rabbit poop patrol when we lived on the east coast because there were wild rabbits which came to our yard at night.

She used to get real sick later after eating this stuff (YUK!) so I was on poop patrol every day.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had previously posted about this same subject. Bailey LOVES to eat her poop. It is very disgusting! She doesn't do it so much as outside as she does it inside (she's 3 months, still goes poop during the night). I ended up buying these pills at Petsmart that discourage her from eating her poop and they actually worked. Unfortunately, I found out that she tends to poop A LOT during the night. My husband was like "Stop giving her those pills! I'd rather her clean up her own poop!" LOL

Bailer is truly a garbage disposal. When its meal time, you'd think I'd never fed her before because she cries and whines and throws herself all over the place while I am making her food. And then after eating her food, she has to go check on Shyla to see if she's left any morsel. So I think she just likes to eat and could care less if its poop or food!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning eats any poop he can find--including his own. He loves, loves LOVES it. He's seven years old, has been doing it his whole life, and is as healthy as a horse. I worried that since he was eating other dogs' poop, he would be chock full of worms, but I had him tested and he's clean as a whistle. (I hope I'm not jinxing anything here.) I certainly don't encourage eating poop, but other than smelly, messy kisses, it doesn't seem to cause much harm.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My Emma eats her poop...but only the "first-thing-in-the-morning poop" :roll: AND, she'll try to eat the cat poop whenever I'm not looking. The only thing that was bad about it, other than it being nasty, is that the vet said her gums were being affected...she took one look at her teeth and gums and said "she's a poop eater, isn't she?".

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That's interesting that you would say that, Emmasmom, because a friend of mine recently told me that her hound was a poop eater and his vet thought that was causing his gums to ulcerate. I was skeptical, given that Lightning's gums are perfect. But maybe it is true. When you say her gums are being affected, what do you mean?

·
Registered
183 Posts
This truly is the most distressing, disgusting and nasty thing my Sammy does. :shock: She does the whole turn around and try to eat it bit. She also follows Luther around like he is a treat dispenser. We have tried everything! The only thing that works is to stand there and cleanup - which we do. It does seem to be a beahviour issue. Luther rarely does this and Sammy acts like it's some kind of special treat. ICK!

OH, and then she wants to kiss me. :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts