Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only after encountering a skunk

• Never---love that Frito smell!

Settle a debate

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Terry 
#1 ·
Help my husband and I settle a debate on how often bassets should be bathed. If he wins, I have to eat at his favorite restaurant (which I detest) with him and if I win, he gives me a 30 minute hot stone massage. We'll run the poll for one week before we settle up. Thanks!

#5 ·
Remember that a lot depends on where you live. We are in Florida. Our dogs get nasty. And if you have a roller ...Belvedere is a stink-roller ...it's on an "as needed" basis. I understand they need the natural oils but there's a point ...can't have stinkies all over the hosue! :rolleyes:

#6 ·
y'all are right - you do need more information for this to make sense. so here i am to give you what you've asked for:
  • montana is active for a basset - walked regularly, played with in tussling, lots of basset 500ing.
  • montana is an inside dog who spends about three days a week outside during my wife's office hours.
  • we live in baton rouge, louisiana - it's hot & humid all the time - we still have mosquitoes in the middle of january.
  • montana definitely enjoys a good roll every day.

#7 ·
Sooooo...are we voting on how often Montana should be bathed? ;)

#8 ·
not really - i'm the one who baths montana and therefore i'll probably just go with whatever i believe to be best. what you are voting on is who will win their perspective reward - if i when then pam has to eat one of the best hamburgers in town with me (she's not the world's biggest fan of hamburgers), if pam wins then i she gets a 30 minute hot stone message from me (i'm not the world's biggest fan of messages). the whole thing is for kicks and giggles.

#9 ·
Tough choice--I love massages *and* hamburgers--cheeseburgers are better and Kobe cheeseburgers are the best! :D

#16 ·
Every weekend Jackie gets the "spa treatment" with ear cleaning, nail filing, and a "bath" with pet wipes. Once a month before she gets her frontline, I will give her a real bath. When we first got her, I gave her a bath every week and whew...would she stink by the end of the week. Then one week I couldn't give her a bath and I noticed how much better she smelled the next week...so I've found that once a month works best for her. Everyday I brush her coat and she loves it! I also have some grooming spray from Petsmart that I use towards the end of the month or whenever company comes over to freshen her up. Its funny how much we love and groom our furbabies...I would just love to be her in my next life. :p

#17 ·
Lily would totally agree with Snoopy. She hates baths it takes us at least 15-20 minutes just to get her into the bathroom. Gibbs on the other hand will jump right in and I have to shoo him away when I'm trying to take a bath because he wants in too.

~Heather

#18 ·
We used to bathe Moe every month or two, or as needed (skunk encounters or fragrant rolling :p ). Since having his cysts removed our vet has recommended weekly baths with a medicated shampoo that may help to prevent a certain type of cyst. Moe likes baths, especially the lathering up part. :rolleyes: I hate giving them, especially the cleaning up afterward part. <_<

#20 ·
Kerrio, I've smelled both. Moe once cornered a young skunk under our back steps, with the typical result. Fox poo is smelly but not NEARLY as smelly as skunk. I personally believe the only thing that smells worse than skunk is rotten fish (and yes, Moe rolled in THAT once, too <_< ). Moe used to want to eat fox-poo, rather than roll in it. We have foxes that use a deer trail behind our house to get to a tract of woods nearby, so sometimes there is some in our yard. I try to keep Moe away from it, or remove it from the yard - I don't know if you can get rabies or other diseases from an infected wild animal's poo but I'd rather he didn't eat it either way.

Goose poo is incredibly fragrant and vile... don't even ask me where Moe found that particular poo, because I HAVE NO CLUE. :blink: I only know he was covered with it one morning after coming inside. My oblivious husband boosted him onto my bed one of the few mornings I have ever slept late... and Moe smeared poo ALL OVER me and the bed linens!! <_< Then I had to bathe him, me, and the linens. :( My punishment for lollygaggin, I suppose...

#22 ·
Kerrio, I've smelled both. Moe once cornered a young skunk under our back steps, with the typical result. Fox poo is smelly but not NEARLY as smelly as skunk. I personally believe the only thing that smells worse than skunk is rotten fish (and yes, Moe rolled in THAT once, too <_< ). Moe used to want to eat fox-poo, rather than roll in it. We have foxes that use a deer trail behind our house to get to a tract of woods nearby, so sometimes there is some in our yard. I try to keep Moe away from it, or remove it from the yard - I don't know if you can get rabies or other diseases from an infected wild animal's poo but I'd rather he didn't eat it either way.

Goose poo is incredibly fragrant and vile... don't even ask me where Moe found that particular poo, because I HAVE NO CLUE. :blink: I only know he was covered with it one morning after coming inside. My oblivious husband boosted him onto my bed one of the few mornings I have ever slept late... and Moe smeared poo ALL OVER me and the bed linens!! <_< Then I had to bathe him, me, and the linens. :( My punishment for lollygaggin, I suppose...[/b]
I am sorry about you being covered in poo, but I laughed so hard when I heard this story! If only your husband had had a camera! :lol:

#23 ·
I am sorry about you being covered in poo, but I laughed so hard when I heard this story! If only your husband had had a camera! :lol:[/b]
If he had a camera then that would have proven premeditation. If so, it would have been HIM bathing Moe and doing laundry! And I would have made Shepard's Pie for dinner... a meal he hates - I only cook it for him when he's in trouble. ;) :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.