Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a Basset before or such a yound puppy for that matter. We got Barkey (8 weeks old) a week ago from a breeder and haven't really been able to leave him alone, not even for 5 minutes (unless he's sleeping). I work from home, so I'm around him alot, but I can't even walk across the street to get lunch unless I take him with me. He has really bad separation axiety and we think this stress is causing him to have diarrhea. I tested leaving him for 20 minutes once to see what he would do and he cried bloody murder the whole time and diarrhea'd in his crate. And because of his diarrhea, he's been waking me up every 2 hours at night. Ouch!! We're bringing a stool sample in today to make sure he doesn't have parasites. Any suggestions on methods for dealing with separation anxiety????

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm so sure lots of members here could point you to the correct links/books.

Have you tried turning on a radio near by his crate while you're gone? Perhaps, just by hearing someone talking it could make him feel better?

I think separation anxiety needs a step by step training. From leaving the dog alone for 1 minutes, and gradually increase the timing to 2 minutes, the 5 minutes, then 1 hour and so on.
Everytime the puppy doesn't cry, you will praise him and give him some treats.

Just remember, Bassets are pretty strong will. So Don't give up!!!

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Separation Anxiety

"Puppies and newly adopted dogs are at higher risk to develop separation anxiety if they are smothered with constant attention their first few days home. It is much better to leave for brief periods extremely often so the dog’s early learning about departures is that they are no big deal and predict easy, tolerable lengths of absence: “whenever she leaves, she comes back.”

...Mild Separation Anxiety
Reduce the contrast between when you’re gone and when you’re home. Refrain from smothering him with affection (see the “mental work” options above to discover other ways of interacting with your dog). Regularly interrupt his shadowing you around the house continuously when you’re home by baby-gating him into another room for short periods. This is like practicing a “semi-absence.” Do many, many extremely brief (1 – 30 seconds) absences with no fanfare on departure or arrival. Increase physical exercise and mental"

·
Registered
78 Posts
Poor baby might have round worms causing the diarreha. my pup had them and they get them from their moms. if you see white rice like things in his pooo those are the little worms. vet will detect from sample and give you meds which will clear up this part. also, teething can be causing discomfort at this point.
once we got that part cleared up it wasnt uncommon to take sadie out every 2-3 hours through the night. at about 5.5 months she was sleeping 6 to 6.5 hours.

[ March 13, 2006, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: jmm ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on the money, Barkley had worms. We got him some medication today. I'm kinda feeling a little relieved that it wasn't primarily due to us stressing him out in trying to leave him alone. Also thanks Mikey T for that Separation Anxiety Article. That was great with very tangible ideas that will help. We did everything we weren't suppose to do as far as smothering him the first few days we got him home. And all our friends came over and smothered him as well. So, lessoned learned, and now I'm gonna try to practice semi-absence and build up to where I can leave him for 20 minutes and then incorporate his crate into his routine and buy a small radio to stick right next to his crate. He's a pretty smart dog, so he picks up things really quickly. Even when I put him in his crate with the door open, he places his head on the opening so that I can't close the door. Thanks all for the info. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted everyone to know that the worm pills work wonders. I gave Barkley his first worm pill and he slept through the night...in his crate...no crying, no fussing. I was even able to lock the door. I was actually the one who had to wake him up in the morning, fed him, gave him another pill, he did his business outside and then we played for 20 minutes. As soon as I realized he was getting tired I put him back in his crate...again with no fuss, he went right to bed. Hot water bottle helps him get cozy, but I think he's finally feeling a little more comfortable due to the worm pills. Ah, thank God! For a second, I was considering options of giving him to someone else, because he was waking me up every hour and a half and peeing and pooping every 20 minutes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
glad to hear the worm thing is over....if he could sleep through the night at this age great. i was getting up every 2hours. you will learn to appreciate little victorys????? just when you think there wont be any.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts