Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
August is suffering from some separation anxiety. He refuses to not be where I am. Generally that doesn't bother me, but it's times like going to check the mail, and I can hear him barking away from the box. I've had neighbors make comments about hearing him all the time too, so I assume he barks the whole time I'm gone.

I found a D.A.P. diffuser on Amazon the other day. The description says "Dog appeasing pheromone. Helps stop or prevent fear & stress-related behavior in puppies & dogs such as destructive behavior, barking/whining, house soiling, excessive licking & anxiety. The appeasing pheromone in dogs enhances attachment & provides reassurance & comfort." I was wondering if anyone has tried it before?

Also I've seen the Thundershirts that are supposed to relieve the anxiety also. I think I've seen it mentioned on here before, but I was wondering if anyone has tried this also?

Did either work? Does anyone have any tips/tricks to sooth separation anxiety?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have a Thundershirt for Clifford. It definitely helps, but has not eliminated the problem. It kind of just takes the edge off. He seems to like wearing it - he gets all happy & wiggly when I get it out. I also give him melatonin when he seems to be more stressed & I have a neighbor let him out when I am working so he has a potty break & to break up his day. I've not tried anything like the diffuser you mention. I just thought of something - I am a teacher & classical music has an unbelievable calming effect on some children. I wonder if it would have the same effect on dogs? I may have to try that. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have not tried that with Mabel, but when she is alone in her area during the day, I put a small fan by her to get the breeze, and have classical music on. She is left with a kong, and treats. I am experiencing the same thing with her, as she is a puppy still and is obsessed with me. Cries at the bottom of the stairs when I am upstairs etc. . .Let us know how it goes and good luck! Your not alone!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have found that the Thundershirt does not work for my Maggie. I put it on her when there's a storm or when people are outside.... nothing. Still barks, still shakes, still tries to crawl underneath my skin. She also has major separation anxiety. I can't be outside without her (she can clearly see me and tell that I'm not leaving her) without her barking, whining or howling. I have to hurry my other dog up when he's doing his business because she constantly barks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the real only answer here is to get another dog : ) then they can keep each other company!!!!!!
I would love to get another dog! I've thought about it many times, since August has always had Jack around (my parents shih tzu) before we moved, I just can't find another basset! All the breeders are too far away!

Is August (love that name!) crated when you are out of the house?
Thanks! He is crated every day but Tuesday. I have class all day so he is in the bathroom with a kong toy and his other toys. He has hated the crate since day one though! I don't normally put anything in there with him, since on those days I'm only really gone for about 2 hours.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
the real only answer here is to get another dog : ) then they can keep each other company!!!!!!
that works for some but certainly not all dogs

see Separation Anxiety for some exercises that may help but often the use of drugs is required in adition to behavior modification

Separation Anxiety In Dogs and How to Deal with It

clomicalm

I don't normally put anything in there with him
Hence a good part of thereason he hates the cate. Also with seperation anxiety distructive behavior all occurs withing the first 45 minutes so it is not the longer absences that are the problem finding outlets for both mental and physical stimulation when you are gone will go along way to eliminating the problem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well toy wise, I put nothing in the crate. I do put a treat in as a way to get him to willingly go inside it. The majority of the time if he doesn't eat it before I get out the door, when I get back it is still there untouched even if I'm gone for 2 hours. That is why I haven't bothered putting anything else in.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hi August,

Worm doesn't loooove his crate, he would prefer to be outside of it and with us any day, but he does like it enough & tolerates it.

Have you tried keeping him in his crate for 5-10 min at a time on days that you are home? And then rewarding him when you let him out, esp when he's good and quiet?

We got Worm used to his crate doing a bunch of things. First, we used to feed his meals in there & lock the door. he didn't mind being in there, if it meant a meal, and he was quiet too. we always keep 2 pretty chew-proof toys in his crate at any time. i'm not sure he plays with them that much while we're away, but we thought it couldn't hurt. we also put beef rib bones w/lots of meat on them (tho some people don't like to give their dogs any bones), that he was crazy about & would take 20 min to eat. we would lock him in there so he wouldn't make a mess and/or also when we couldn't give him so much attention. he would be very happy in there. some ideas...

We used to make fun of Worm, too, because he followed us around everywhere like that was his only purpose in life. we kept telling him to become more independent, and he did as he's grown older.

haven't looked at Mikey's links yet, but we used to do an exercise w/our last dog. we would have him sit & stay on the floor or bed, and keep reminding him stay, stay, sometimes w/hand signal. at first, if he stayed & stayed quiet, i'd give him a treat. pretty soon, i was leaving the room to go get a treat & then coming back with it. he got used to staying in place quietly even when he can't see us. anyways, some thoughts about possible baby steps in addressing your situation.

good luck & keep us posted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts