1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sensible Choice has been hit too.

http://www.sensiblechoice.com/

This is ernest's dog food.

I am totally freaked. Tonight we had turkey, brown rice and cottage cheese, but we need to find something more nutritious.

Fingers crossed that everyone's pups are okay.

lala

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Take a look at the 'Homemade Food' thread under Basset Health and Genetics- Soundtrack and biscuit have comnments there that you might find helpful-

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
:angry: The Friday night news dump. An old trick that's wearing pretty thin.

Here's what Howl911 suspects the latest recalls are and why, given the FDA and companies aren't talking:

SUPPLIER SHIPPED RICE PROTEIN TO UT, NY, KS & MO PLANTS 04/19/07 Wilbur-Ellis, the San Francisco-based distributor of the melamine-laced rice protein concentrate, states that in addition to Diamond, they shipped the RPC to four other plants, located in Utah, New York, Kansas and to two in Missouri. Here's what Howl 911 can offer, in terms of speculation:

Utah: American Nutrition is located in Ogden, Utah and is a large contract manufacturer of pet foods. Natural Balance contracts with A.N. for production of their wet foods. A.N. also makes their own labels, which include Atta Boy, Atta Cat, Basic Plus, Vita Bone, Vita Snacks and Harmony Maintain Chunks.

Both Menu Foods and Hill's have plants in Kansas - Menu Foods in Emporia, Kansas and Hill's in Topeka, Kansas
Nestle Purina is based in St. Louis, Missouri; whether they also have an active manufacturing plant there, we do not know. Perhaps some of our readers who have knowledge of this will email us to let us know. Edit to add: Royal Canin USA, located in St. Charles, Missouri, is a subsidiary of the Royal Canin Group, a leading worldwide supplier of nutritional pet foods to the specialty segment. Royal Canin USA manufacturers and markets the nutritional brands Size Nutrition, Feline Nutrition, Natural Blend, Sensible Choice, Excel, and Kasco. (Thanks, Brigitte!)[/b]
As for homemade, I'm reading a lot of contradictory information about it, including a lot of advisories not to do it. But I fed Biscuit homemade a long time because of his anal glands, and Yogi grew up on it, with no ill effects. And I'm tending to agree more and more with the dissenting voices saying that we fed dogs "homemade" for ages before dog food was invented back in - when, the 1950s? - and these warnings about not doing it are disingenuous.

Besides, Black Gold has corn gluten in it, and I'm waiting for that shoe to drop.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
:angry: And I'm tending to agree more and more with the dissenting voices saying that we fed dogs "homemade" for ages before dog food was invented back in - when, the 1950s? - and these warnings about not doing it are disingenuous.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/b]
I've been wondering about that myself- dogs have existed a lot longer on theis planet than commercial dog food- anyone care to comment?

·
Registered
289 Posts
When will it stop?[/b]
When we stop using Chinese wheat to save a few pennies.

I wish someone could figure out how much more dog food would be if made with American grain. It's can't be that much more.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When we stop using Chinese wheat to save a few pennies.

I wish someone could figure out how much more dog food would be if made with American grain. It's can't be that much more.[/b]

Agreed! We humans try to eat as locally and as organically as possible. We also believe you should eat foods in season, why can't I do the same for Ernest?

Our pet food store, Mud Bay Granary, is beside itself over these recalls as they try and stock the best of the pet foods out there.

Ernest is still a young dog (13 months) - very healthy and very active. I want to make sure he's getting the proper nutritional balance.

I guess until I figure out better, its going to be rice, turkey, chicken, cottage cheese and locally grown veggies for him. I hope he likes chard. ;)

lala

·
Registered
939 Posts
Biscuit,you can use a different formula of Black Gold than the Black bag,i feed the Red Bag. As for the corn gluten i thought you said when you spoke to Mr. Allen that he used Domestic products only.All the things involved with the recall were caused by imported grain sources.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yes, he did say that. Still, it gave me the heebie jeebies. I'm just getting really fed up with the whole thing.

I'll check the ingredients on the red bag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts