Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie on this forum so please don't roast me for a question that may be answered already. I did search for an answer but did not find what I need to know.
On Average how old do Breeders still use a Basset for Stud?
What do they do with them when they no longer are used for Stud?

Reason is I would like to have a full blood Senior Basset just for a house dog. No interest in Puppies, etc.
Thank you for any response. I have been looking on Basset Rescue sites, but have not seen one that looks like I want.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Unlike with my bitches, who I retired/spayed by around 5 - 6 years, my studs were used for longer, if I was asked! The UK KC has/did have? an upper age limit which used to be 11 years. It's been so long since I was involved in breeding now, that things may have changed. I'd not expect an elderly boy to need to be mating for that long however!

What people in the UK do with their elderly stud dogs these days, is keep them as the pets they are first and foremost, to the end of their days. Was a time when the bigger kennels would like to get their retired hounds into a pet home, and out of kennels however. People don't usually keep large numbers any longer, much as there are a couple here in the UK, that do. What, if you are after an older hound, you might find is one who has been 'run on' so the breeder has time to make up his mind which of those he's kept back, is better. Those who don't quite come up to expectations, are often available.

Or contact Breed Rescue depending on where in the world you are.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
My stud dogs just stay here as pets.

Probably what you really want is a retired show dog. A stud dog can produce well into his senior years as long as he is healthy, but some breeders will rehome a show dog they no longer have plans for so that he can enjoy more attention from a family and the breeder can continue their breeding program without overloading themselves with dogs.

Breeders will also sometimes know of dogs they have sold that need a new home for one reason or another, or have older dogs that were returned to them.

You might try contacting your nearest Basset Hound club, or going to local shows so you can get in touch with the breeders in your area.

FWIW, I have seen lovely looking seniors on rescue sites, but you do have to keep monitoring to see what comes up. Unfortunately, not all owners contact the breeder when they rehome, even when the purchase agreement requires them to.

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
now with the ability to freeze sperm Many breeder are not hanging on to studs as long as they use to .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say to get in touch with a rescue in your area. Senior dogs are harder to place. The last dog our Las Vegas rescue has was around 2 and within 24 hours they had over 30 applicants. The last senior dog took weeks to place. Don’t give up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts