Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes: I love my two hounds and have never minded their smell. I just had a real estate agent look at my house, and she said to get neutral deodorizers to lessen the smell. I've been using Arm and Hammer pet deodorizer spray, but she said to avoid things that smell overly sweet smelling because some buyers are sensitive. Any suggestions from anyone on products that lessen hound order without being too sweet? Thanks !

·
Registered
932 Posts
:rolleyes: I love my two hounds and have never minded their smell. I just had a real estate agent look at my house, and she said to get neutral deodorizers to lessen the smell. I've been using Arm and Hammer pet deodorizer spray, but she said to avoid things that smell overly sweet smelling because some buyers are sensitive. Any suggestions from anyone on products that lessen hound order without being too sweet? Thanks ![/b]
Febreeze and lots of it.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Try Odo-Ban (or Odor Ban) --- the industrial size, if you have a little extra cash! It isn't something that you want to use immediately before someone comes over, but if you use it on, say, Saturday for a Sunday showing, woah - world of difference!

I have the opposite problem here - just bought a house with the smell of ex-smoker and elderly incontinent lady :huh: :huh: , and Odo-Ban has worked miracles.

Also, don't forget about Nature's Miracle. I've actually mopped floors before with it, and it really cleans things up.

If the hound's been on your furniture, and your furniture is cloth, that might be a big part of the smell, too. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree with what Biscuit suggested. I too use OdoBan and it works great. We live in Florida and run our AC most of the year. Because of that we change our filters monthly. When we had our AC company come to do their annual check the Technician suggested spraying OdoBan on the new filter and up into the venting system. The company actually carries a huge industrial size bottle with them. This way everytime the AC or heat comes on the smell is dispensed. It is not too strong or sweet just neutralizes the odors.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
I've been using Arm and Hammer pet deodorizer spray, but she said to avoid things that smell overly sweet smelling because some buyers are sensitive. Any suggestions from anyone on products that lessen hound order without being too sweet? Thanks ![/b]

Scent can produce powerful emotions, When it come to selling a home you want the buyer to think of your house as bieng their home. An there is nothing, nothing that says home more than Chocolate chip cookies in the oven. It mask many of those other you don't want the buyer noticing as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;) Thanks for the suggestions. I bought the Odoban today and will try that out. I bought some chocolate chips too and will use the cookie idea. Thanks again!

·
Registered
773 Posts
We sold our home of 28 years last Spring. In that house, the dogs' crates were in the family room, and I knew the odor would be a problem. I changed their bedding more frequently, kept covers on all the furniture that I removed before a showing, used my Petastic (which is the original Nature's Miracle formula), and lit cinnamon scented candles. No one mentioned smelling 'dog', and the house sold in two weeks (which really screwed me up -- I thought it'd sit there for at least six months to a year like everyone else's house).

Good luck with your sale!

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is right up my alley! Our businesses deal with this all the time.

First have your carpets thoroughly cleaned with an extraction method. Choose the fastest drying service you can get and buy their deodorizer treatment. Call a janitorial supplier and get something called "Lemon Odor Destroyer" and make up the solution and wash your walls. This stuff works wonders! One thing I find is that by keeping our house cool, I can cut down on the dog odor so run your AC during showings. And yes, the upholstery can be a huge culprit for harbouring odors, so clean them when your getting the carpets done, and use slipcovers afterwards. There is also a product that I think is kind of neat. Its a fragranced sheet that you strap onto your filters in your HVAC return and they come in all kinds of smells. A new one before each showing would really help --they arent too much $$$.

Lemon and cinnamon are always good clean smells, so choose products that have these fragrances and you should see improvement. If all else fails, get a professional company to come and ozone your house with an ozone generator (everyone and all pets must be out of the house during this time). That is the same machine that car dealers use to get that new car smell in used cars, or to make a smoking hotel room a non-smoking one.

You really can't "overtreat" a hound smell, now can you? Ha ha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Baking soda works great, especially on carpets and furniture where most of the smells are retained. Try sprinkling it on and letting it sit for a while, then vacuum it up. Some other suggestions are to make sure your dogs are clean, because if they stink it doesn't matter how much cleaning/deodorizing you do. Also try baking something in the oven, as someone above suggested. Pies work great too, especially since it's starting to get into the fall season. Food smells are always better than floral/fruit. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts