Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted pound puppy (Indy) in January. He is our "not a basset" being a doxie/beagle mix. He was very sick for several months, then blossomed into the sweetest baby. He is housebroken. He has bonded with Jake and Sami. In May the weather became too hot to leave the dogs kenneled in our garage kennel. They are all housebroken (though michieveous) and I started leaving them alone in the house for short stretches at a time. They all did well for awhile- but then Indy started having accidents in the living room- even if we were only gone 20 minutes. So- I baby gated the laundry room and started leaving him there. He has a blankie, food/water and lots of chew toys. He did fine for about 3 weeks. This weekend we came home to find blood all over the laundry room. Just small spots- Indy's nose was all scraped up. We thought he accidently hurt himself on the gate. We left him this morning for about 40 minutes and it was the same thing... so it's not an accident. We are going to the vet later today (Sami needs shots) so are taking Indy along for a check up. Any thoughts on what I can do to help. He was shaking like a leaf when we got home- it was heartbreaking. I think it's separation anxiety- but what worked for Jake last year (kongs and crating) don't seem to be the answer for this baby. He is about 1 1/2 years old- Thanks for any suggestions-

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
It might be an accident --- it might be a situation where he freaks out and injures his nose.

But maybe not.

I have a German Shepherd girl who self-mutilates. She's a lovely sweet darling girl (albeit gigantic - !). I don't know her entire history but the people who had her before me were extremely negligent, to the point of abuse. And I've been told there was a well worn path in that yard from where she would pace back and forth and back and forth and back and forth.

Which if I'm remembering right is common for caged dogs, pet store dogs, etc. :(

Here, she'll self-mutilate in reaction to what she perceives as a major change. For example, I moved her bed across the living room, and she spent the next few nights chewing off her toenails. And I mean chewing them off.

She also does the pica thing and, were her fur not so thick, I'm certain she would lick herself raw at times.

The secret for my pup seems to be fairly extreme stability. She cannot handle changes. It's very sad, I think --- she's such a lovely girl but apparently never got to play as a pup (she gets overwhelmed by it) and I'm guessing her background was so chaotic that the least change is too threatening for her.

If you're dealing with self-mutilation, you might have the same situation on your hands. But check with your vet first to make sure something else isn't going on.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet said it was separation anxiety :( He recommended changing our leaving routine -going out different doors, etc sometimes several times a day to break his routines. He got his nose again today. So much blood on the little towel it looked like I'd used it to clean up a strawberry punch :( :( . I bought the Dog Listener and will try some of those recommendations too. He said to keep him in the pen and not the crate- it's more rooom and he could hurt himself in the crate too. Poor little guy has us worried!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He still had the anxiety with the other dogs... but at that time showed it by having little accidents in the middle of the living room floor as soon as the front door closed :(

We are trying the behavior mod- leaving unexpectedly- coming back- putting him in the pen a bit while we are home... I "buried" bisquits in his pen this morning and a kong... He did fine and I had to be gone 3 hours- But I left for 15 minutes yesterday and he unraveled :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts