Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen similar water bowls at pet stores, but they all would have to order one. So I thought I'd make one. I used a RubberMaid container and a float valve from a water cooler, then enclosed it in a wood box.
I'm leaving for a few days next week and I do have someone stopping by to check the dogs and feed them daily, but I was concerned about them running out of water in 90 degree heat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My inlaws have a facuet waterer (middle product) for their sometimes outside border collie. It is good because it is always fresh. Of course not her only source of water but a good alternative when she is out. I wonder if a basset could a)learn to use it and b)reach the faucet? :D

dog waterer

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
HI--We've had that faucet thingie with bassets, with mixed results. One really loved it, and used it all the time. A second knew how to use it, but did *not* like the water running down her pretty little neck. I tried it with two others, and neither showed much interest in it. I think this may have been due to the height of the faucets--really too high for them to reach comfortably. I do like the refillable water bowl--we had a commerical one for a long time, and it always gave me a bit of peace of mind, out here in earth quake country where bowls may tip over in a temblor.
Sharon Hall
Pearl, CDX, RE
Bella, RN

J

·
0 Posts
With José I don't so much fill his water, I change it. I pour out the slime & fill it up with water!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hey, that is a really good idea!! Home made invention is the best.

8)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have to agree with Jose'. How do you eliminate the bassett hound slobbers? I usually end up changing the water twice a day to get rid of the slime.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was more concerned about them running out of water while I was gone for 5 days, than with the slime. I did after a week of using this "bowl", took the garden hose and rinsed it out. It actually had less slime than their indoor 2 gallon self waterer that I filled and cleaned every other day.
I really don't see the big deal about slimy water anyways. If I let them, they would drink out of the toilet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts