Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
July 1st I took my 12 week old basset to vet because I was positive he was having seizures, not eating, having trouble breathing, and to get vaccines. The vet said it's just anxiety and gave puppy prosaic. I took him home and he got worse. I took him for a second opinion. Thank god. My baby is currently hospitalized fighting for his life. He has a infection in his lungs. The vet thinks its canine distemper. She took xrays, showed the infection. Bloodwork looked good. She said he is waging his tail, and is not letargic. She told me he has a 50 50 chance of survival. They have 2 antibiotics going as well as anti seizure medication and fluids. He will drink on his own. They r force feeding him with a syringe. The vet said we will know in a few days if he will live or have to be put down. Please pray for my baby Jeremiah. We r devastated as I waited many years to have my first basset. He is the perfect puppy and has brought us so much joy. We will no in a few days if it is canine distemper when the test comes back in a few days.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
July 1st I took my 12 week old basset to vet because I was positive he was having seizures, not eating, having trouble breathing, and to get vaccines. The vet said it's just anxiety and gave puppy prosaic. I took him home and he got worse. I took him for a second opinion. Thank god. My baby is currently hospitalized fighting for his life. He has a infection in his lungs. The vet thinks its canine distemper. She took xrays, showed the infection. Bloodwork looked good. She said he is waging his tail, and is not letargic. She told me he has a 50 50 chance of survival. They have 2 antibiotics going as well as anti seizure medication and fluids. He will drink on his own. They r force feeding him with a syringe. The vet said we will know in a few days if he will live or have to be put down. Please pray for my baby Jeremiah. We r devastated as I waited many years to have my first basset. He is the perfect puppy and has brought us so much joy. We will no in a few days if it is canine distemper when the test comes back in a few days.
Unfortunately puppies may well not survive this - and if they do, the high fever associated with Distemper may well leave him with some brain issues. My father in law nursed their Spaniel mix through this (this was years ago before people routinely vaccinated their dogs) but he was always very unpredictable. Some of this could have been Spaniel rage (he was a black colour, not the normal reds who can exhibit this problem and a mix) but it's more likely that the high fever he had, was the cause.

Can I just ask whether your vet has suggested there is distemper around locally, and had the pup been given ANY puppy vaccination prior to this? Did you take him off your property on the ground? And it has to be asked whether you bought him from a reputable, experienced breeder? Obviously I hope he survives.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has had 2 full sets of vaccines. He has not been around any other dogs. I thought the breeder was reputable. The vet said it can be 3 things, canine distemper which test should be back tomorrow. A parasite which they r treating him for with antibiotics. Or its hereditary which he will have to be put down

·
Registered
27 Posts
We are so sorry to hear this and will keep you in our prayers.

@TeazelsMum if this issue is hereditary would you expect the litter mates to have the same issue? Or if this is hereditary is it rare/uncommon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank u for your kindness he needs lots of prayers. None of the other litter mates r having issues so far.
20200704_203219.jpg
20200626_152454.jpg
20200618_150958.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ohhh he is so beautiful. I am keeping him soaked in prayer, please keep us informed. I notice he has a Biblical name, Jeremiah was a very important major prophet in the old testament who had God's voice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I probably cry about 20 times a day with lots of prayer. We r waiting for the test for the distemper to come back. He had a setback yesterday with aspiration pneumonia. But the vet said stay optimistic because he had no seizures yesterday and is now eating on his own. I pray his little immune system can beat this virus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been discovered it is a hereditary neurologic disease. He will only get worse. Jeremiah was the best basset ever. Even though he was only 12 weeks old and I only had him 4 weeks. Those were the best 4 weeks of my life. Shortly, Jeremiah will cross that rainbow bridge and be suffering no more. I thank god for allowing me the time we had. I hope he knows how much I love him and wanted him to stay with us. But I love him more to let him go and be pain free. Jeremiah aka bug a boo. I'm so sorry and mommie and daddy love u so much. RIP my best friend. We r devastated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh no, oh no, I am so very sorry to hear that. It breaks my heart, but you are doing the right thing by giving him the last act of kindness. Jeremiah will be romping with my sweet Penny who I lost suddenly and unexpectantly. She was my heart.
By the way, please tell the breeder since this is hereditary, who I hope will try to find out if this is coming from the female or the male breeding stock. I am praying for you and your husband during this very difficult time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for those kind words. I'm so sorry for your loss of penny. I tried to tell the breeder. She got mad and nasty with me. Which I didnt need with my broken heart. We will not get another puppy from her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts