Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestion as far as seat belt harness for my basset (he's 18 weeks now).
He behave very well in car. I just want him to be extra safe.
I own a Honda accord. So, it's impossible to fit the gigantic crate in the car.

If you have a favorite one please send me the link where to buy.
I'll buy it asap.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My friend also has a Honda Accord and 2 Bassets. She recently purchased this tube and loves it. It is secured by the seat belts. It fits in the back seat.

I bought the harnesses from Pet Smart. They even helped me fit them to Rusty & Stickers. They hook into the seatbelt lock.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i got one for toby but he won't even let me put it on him. he fought me so hard when i busted that thing out. i'm about to give up on it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got one for toby but he won't even let me put it on him. he fought me so hard when i busted that thing out. i'm about to give up on it
perhaps, the tube is better for you?
I am liking the idea of the tube..
I'll check on it.

Anyone have other alternative?
or specific seatbelt harness brand you very much recommend?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I use a seat belt for Spencer that works with his regular harness and the car's shoulder belt. The seat belt attaches to the car's shoulder belt & then to the harness on Spencer. It allows him to move a bit - stand & turn around, but prevents him from becoming a projectile in the event of an accident. I've had it for years, but I think I ordered it from the KV Pet catalog.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
I use a seat belt for Spencer that works with his regular harness and the car's shoulder belt
the problem with a regular harnes is that the straps are rather narrow and can cause injury in a severe crash. Those harness design for seatbelt restrained have wider and cushioned straps

Clix Car Safe Harness

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
"the problem with a regular harnes is that the straps are rather narrow and can cause injury in a severe crash. Those harness design for seatbelt restrained have wider and cushioned straps"

Well, since I didn't include a picture & you don't know what I use, you really aren't qualified to tell me what I use is unsafe.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Well, since I didn't include a picture & you don't know what I use, you really aren't qualified to tell me what I use is unsafe.
hmmm I don't see anything in my post accusing you of using something that is unsafe and beside the post was directed at Someone inquire about saftey harness and other lurkers that may be interested not someone that already use one so I was telling you absolutely nothing. You will find it better for your blood pressure to interpret other post in the best possible light rather than looking for slights that were never meant nor actual existed.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It just seems to me that no matter what is posted about any topic, you have a "know it all reply." I also suggest you start checking your spelling & grammar, because it is always terrible. Don't bother replying to this, because I won't be reading it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi,
For a long time we used Champion harnesses , which are very strong and have these huge hooks that attached the dogs to the car seat. One day, however, I stopped short, Bella was in the harness, and she really, really injured the soft tissue around her shoulders. The seat belts had cut into them as she was thrown forward. We switched to Four Paws harnesses, which are padded, though they don't look as strong, but they don't come so tight under the front legs, so if the dog slides forward, they don't cut into that area. And, I put a bolster in front of each back seat so they couldn't slip down if I stopped suddenly. However, when it was time to get a new vehicle, I got one that could fit two crates into--no more struggling with seat belts....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

This is the seat belt we use with Bogie. Nice, wide,
fleece lined, and the seat belt fits through a special
loop on the top of his back. Works great!

Here you can see how it looks from the side view.
Bogie uses the ramp my husband made to get into
the SUV and our camper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts