Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished ordering from www.dogsuppliessite.com a seat belt lead. I have one of those metal barrier things but it takes up way too much room for the dogs in the back seat of my truck. I have a small pickup with two small seats in the back. I don't want them in the front with me because they have even tried to get on my lap when I am driving. There is a dip between the passenger and drivers seat that they can jump through. I thought this new seat belt thing might be the answer. One end clicks on to the dogs collar and the other end into the seat belt holder. They might have been around for some time but they are new to me. Anyone else tried them? Bonnie, Ruby, Paisley

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I use something called "Champion Seat belts. They are extra heavy duty, and clip on to the seat belt in the back seat. You can buy an extender strap, and that allows them a little movement. With one on, there's no way the hounds can get in the front seat. I can't say my dogs arellove it, but I think it's is the safest way to travel, unless you use an anchored down hard crate. If you aren't satisfied with the harnesses you purchased, private message me, and I'll find their web site for you.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have a seat belt I use for Spencer. I hooks to the regular car seatbelt & then onto his normal harness. It allows him some movement, but would prevent him from becoming a projectile in the event of an accident. I think it is a good idea. I've had it for years, but if I remember right, I think I bought it at Petsmart.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

We use this type of harness with Bogie. The seat belt goes through a loop on the back of the harness at the top of Bogie's back. It has sheep skin fleece material on the under side and we like the wideness over his chest which should offer good support in panic stops or worse in an accident.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
I thought this new seat belt thing might be the answer. One end clicks on to the dogs collar and the other end into the seat belt holder. They might have been around for some time but they are new to me. Anyone else tried them? Bonnie, Ruby, Paisleyand we like the wideness over his chest which should offer good support in panic stops or worse in an accident.[/b]
In the event of an accident having the dog theather about the neck is only going to do more harm than good. Such a device should only be used with a harness. There are a number of harness made specifically for this purpose like the one Bubba lerory posted They all have wider and padded straps to distrubute the forces for a car crash over a much broader section of the dogs body which will minimize acute trauma from those forces.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Mikey T for your comment. I already have one harness and will buy another one. Totally makes sense about being safer. Bonnie

·
Registered
272 Posts
We use the same harness that BubbaLeroy uses. We also use it on walks and helps to keep Louie under control without choking him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts