Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
George hasn't had anything to eat in the last couple of days that he doesn't eat all the time, but yesterday I gave him a bath and since then he's been scratching like fury. I used Hartz conditioning shampoo "for all skin types." He'd been doing a lot of scratching already and my husband noticed significant dandruff and concluded that George had dry skin, so I thought conditioning shampoo and a good thorough bath would help. Recently George had an abscess on his tail but it's much, much better, but last night he was gnawing at it again, too. Can I put Cortaid or Neosporin on him or do they make something similar just for dogs? I think it must just be skin irritation. Or maybe it's just been so long since he had a bath that it upset his equilibrium.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Something you think is an abcess needs diagnosis and treatment by your veterinarian.

One reason for itchiness after a bath is there's still shampoo left that's irritating the skin. Or the shamppo itself is irritating. I always use hypoallergenic products that I purchase at the vets. There's also a soap-free liquid shampoo I like, especially if giving frequent baths when showing a dog. And sometimes itching is from dry skin or other allergies. If it persists you really need assistance from your vet.

But do get the abcess checked out. An abcess can make a dog real sick and any skin lump or lesion really needs a veterinarian's expertise.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've already been to vet about the abscess two weeks ago and she prescribed an antibiotic and the abscess cleared up. The hair fell out over the spot, however, and it was that spot he seemed to be worrying at last night, though today I realized it wasn't that after all. I rinsed him VERY thoroughly after his bath but I suppose I may have left some soap behind anyway.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Allergies do that to Jake- He sometimes has to take allergy pills for the itching and scratching- I use and oatmeal based shampoo that seems to help too-

·
Registered
494 Posts
The best thing I ever got for Shyla's hot spots was Sulfadene. Works wonders!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts