Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Would like to know if anyone has had this problem...

Molly will not stop scratching, i have checked her for flees, she is fine she does not have any little friends on her at all.

I have been watching her all the time and i think it may just be habit, because when she is not doing anything she SCRATCHES.. :blink:

Its driving be mad plus, i think this also cant be good for her :(

Has anyone else had this problem

Thanks

Mollys mum

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bassets can be somewhat allergy prone. You might look into a food that has no corn for starters.

I have one basset that scratches at her collar every morning when she first wakes up. Drives me bonkers!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My girl Lily does this in the summer, it drives me mad. In addition to maybe changing the food I found this spray oil skin conditioner stuff at petsmart that I use on her when it gets bad. It's only in the summer she does this...

~Heather

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats really interesting as Molly loves to sit in the sun, so maybe this is the answer.. :rolleyes:

I was getting worried as i know a lot of Bassets have thyroid problems and know dry skin is one of the symptoms..

Many thanks for your reply..

Do you find that the oil works?

carol

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The oil can also be put into their bath. The oil works a little, but the problem is Lily will not let me spray much on her.

~Heather

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Heather,

Do you know the name of the oil that you use as i will try and buy some online as i live in France so some things are hard to come by.. :mellow:

I was told to use baby oil as this may help..

Thank you for your advice as thats whats great about forums we can all help each other out on advce, but understandably if things dont get better you go to your vets.. :rolleyes:

Carol

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You might want to have the vet do blood work and check for thyroid problems. Our neighbors Australian Shephard and our daughter's Greyhound both had continued itching and scratching problems. Repeated vet visits, no fleas, tried new foods, medicated shampoos, etc. for allergic dogs, and when blood work was finally done they both had very low thyroid and have been put on the doggie version of synthroid, with no more problems. One dog lives in Arkansas and the other in South Dakota. Why the vets didn't check this out earlier I have no idea.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Another possibility is a grass allergy. My friend has a lab who is very allergic to grass (a skin allergy). The poor guy scratches like crazy and developes a rash. Their vet gives him some sort of injection that helps tremendously. I'd consider all the possibilities and run each by your vet before ruling each one out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I started feeding Snoopy Eukanuba Food for Sensitive Skin and when I give him bathes I use an oatmeal based sensitive skin shampoo. He still scratches (let's face it, dogs love to scratch :lol: ) but definitely not as much as before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts