Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my goodness! I have never heard so much noise from these hounds like this ever! They are non-stop whining, growling, baying, howling and in generally going absolutely nuts! (And driving me there in the bargain!)

Last night sometime our resident rat (some of you may remember the story) got himself caught in the trap under the sink... but he thrashed and wriggled and tossed and wrestled and fought and managed to get out of the trap and disappear into the wall behind the dishwasher.

This morning I checked under the kitchen sink and when I opened the cupboard door ... OH MY LORD I have never smelled such a stench! There was blood ALL over the place under the sink in slashes and splotches and trails... Rat Blood and Adrenaline combined together and who knows what else but the stink!?! :blink: :eek: :blink:

As soon as that smell hit the air both hounds started baying and running around the house with their noses pressed to the floor and up in the air and when they couldn't get a fix on it (it seriously filled up the whole house) they started whining and carrying on like I've never seen or heard before.

I had to practically drag them out to the yard so I could clean the mess up.

They howled and scratched and threw themselves against the door til I let them back in! As soon as they were in the house the baying and howling and whining and growling started up again.

Everyone is getting a little on edge from the noise they're making ... it's getting irritating to say the least and I must say somewhat worrisome! I'm concerned! I hope they stop soon!

I also hope that rat turns up somewhere and isn't just going to die in the walls or the floor somewhere! With this smell from a little blood I can only imagine how bad the place will stink up with the weather getting warmer if it's in the walls!!! :(

Any suggestions regarding the hounds noise and behaviour right now?... Just hope it passes soon or?.... They weren't even distracted by CHEESE! :blink:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm no expert, but unfortunately I believe you will have this problem until the rat is gone. I'm sorry...hang in there.

~Heather

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
  1. Get yourself a Boa constrictor, (go for a 12 feeter.)
  2. Send it into the walls with killing the rat as a mission.
  3. Get yourself a Mongoose to kill the snake.
  4. Now you just need to get rid of the Mongoose...
--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That sounds like a fun plan. ;)

~Heather

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  1. Get yourself a Boa constrictor, (go for a 12 feeter.)
  2. Send it into the walls with killing the rat as a mission.
  3. Get yourself a Mongoose to kill the snake.
  4. Now you just need to get rid of the Mongoose...
--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>
[/b]
**lol** Reminds me of a song my mom used to sing...

"She swallowed the cow to catch the goat ... she swallowed the goat to catch the dog ... she swallowed the dog to catch the cat ... she swallowed the cat to catch the bird ... she swallowed the bird to catch the spider ... she swallowed the spider to catch the fly ... but I donno why she swallowed the fly ... perhaps she'll die ..." :blink:

Cheerful little ditty <_< *hehe*

Anyhow ... last night the trap under my mother's sink went off and there was a rat in it! ... So - we hope it was the same one ... either way the bassets have calmed down now and the smell is fading from the house (Thank God!).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Thank goodness. I too hope that it was the same rat. I take major issue with mice and rats since the house I grew up in was built on a previous corn field I constantly had mice in the house as a child and I am very scared of them. Heres to hoping that your rat is gone for good... :)

~Heather

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just ran across this and its so ironic! I was at my friends house last night and she has an assortment of animals (3 dogs, 1 cat, 2 hamsters, a guinea pig, fish and 2 rats). Stonewall was walking across her living room and suddenly out of the blue noticed the rats! He went nutso! I've never heard such a growl! Then he jumped into my lap and became very protective of me and just stared at the rat growling and barking until he went back into his little hut. It was the craziest thing!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts