Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been several years since I posted here, but I remember fondly what great reactions I got when I was informing to get a Basset and the tips I got from this forum.

Lola has been diagnosed with cancer, heavily spread and no way to cure this. Almost 10 years old, I'm going to have to let the vet put her to sleep, in about 12 hours.

This is one of the hardest decisions I've had to make and it breaks my heart to know she won't be around any longer, especially since our 1yr old daughter is just crazy about her.

Tears in my eyes when I'm typing this. No idea why I post this, but I guess I just need a little comfort...

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I remember Lola.

I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
761 Posts
So sorry about Lola. She's a beautiful girl and she'll be greatly missed. We'll keep you in our thoughts during this very difficult time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Loving Lola

Isn't she just beautiful! SO very sorry to hear you are faced with the heart breaking decision to having to say goodbye to Lola. Many of us on here have been there and understand and appreciate just how difficult heartwrenching that is.

Take some comfort in knowing you were there for her right through to the end and loved her enough to let her go and ensure she doesn't suffer.

For your older girl, perhaps you could post that amazing photo of her and Lola on here and request Lola be considered as basset of the month to honour her memory and the ten years you and your family were lucky enough to spend with her. It would make a beautiful keepsake for her to keep.

Big hug to you all. If it is not too painful for you, hope you stay in touch.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Lola is a beautiful girl, and it is never an easy decision.

Our deepest sympathy at this time.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Such a beautiful girl. Thank you for posting the pictures of her with you and your family.

·
Registered
616 Posts
She truly is a beautiful girl! I'm glad she had such a wonderful loving family to spend her life with.

I read this the other day and though this was the most touching story about the loss of a pet. I hope it can bring you some comfort in the days to come.

A Dog's Purpose? (from a 6-year-old)
Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their homeAs we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up,
''I know why.''
Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live. He said, ''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued,''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''

Live simply.Love generously.Care deeply.Speak kindly.Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like: When loved ones come home, always run to greet them. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy. Take naps. Stretch before rising. Run, romp, and play daily. Thrive on attention and let people touch you. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do. On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass. On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree. When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk. Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently. ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Lola is a beautiful girl, tears falling along with you as I read this post and threads. So hard to let them go, but it is the final gift we can give them for all the unconditional love they give us. I just put my Bentley to sleep 3/1/11 from lymphoma. Run free from cancer Ms. Lola :(

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For your older girl, perhaps you could post that amazing photo of her and Lola on here and request Lola be considered as basset of the month to honour her memory and the ten years you and your family were lucky enough to spend with her. It would make a beautiful keepsake for her to keep.
How would I do that? Would be a great thing for her to remember Lola.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, we put Lola to sleep this morning. Broke my heart. But our vet assured me again that it really was the best thing to do. Was very nice of her to give her all the time we wanted to say goodbye to our girl. My oldest daughter was also present when she gently passed away. Man this hurts.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss! You gave each other a beautiful 10 years and that is something special. If it is any consolation, if I were Lola I would want someone to do what you did. You gave her love and care and you were brave enough to make the tough choice in her best interest to save her from suffering. Its a kind and selfless thing you did.

I hope that you and your family heal and find another wonderful dog to love when you are ready.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts