Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://abbyk9.blogspot.com/2008/12/breaking-news.html :

Quote:

"Unfortunately, the Bidens have inadvertently supported bad breeding by choosing to purchase their new puppy from Jolindy's German Shepherds, a commercial breeder and training facility located in Pennsylvania whose dogs pretty regularly end up in rescue (and are not taken back by the breeder.)

Jolindy's is a commercial kennel operation. At the time of this blog post - the time of Biden purchasing a puppy - they have five litters of German Shepherd puppies available for purchase. Yes, you read that right - five litters available at the same time. Most quality breeders don't even breed five litters in a whole year, let alone have them on the ground at the same time.

Even if it weren't for the large number of puppies currently available, the kennels would raise red flags all around to anyone who knows dogs and dog breeding.

For one, their website lists no less than seven stud dogs that are currently producing litters, along with two that have been retired. Out of the seven, only three are listed by their full registered name. Each dog's dam and sire are listed by full kennel name, along with their titles (both working and show), yet this same information is not provided on their studs. This leads me to believe that they do not actually work or show their dogs. And the absence of something as basic as OFA results on hips would have me seriously concerned about whether they actually perform such basic health testing before breeding.

Their website lists none of their females, except on the "puppies for sale" page where each of the five mothers of the current litters is shown with one photograph and her call name, an no other information provided.

A search for their kennel name given in the articles, "Jolindy's German Shepherds", brings up nothing except classified ads in the Philadelphia Enquirer, at Pets On Sale, and on Pup City. A search of the kennel name on the OFFA database brings up ... well, nothing. Meaning their dogs have not been OFA screened. Looking them up on CERF - nothing again.

However, there's one mention of their name I've found on the Pedigree Database, in a discussion titled, "How many Dogs" that asked breeders on the board how many dogs they currently own, including retired dogs. The discussion is from 2007, so it's not something that was brought up to make this kennel look bad in light of Jo Biden purchasing a puppy from them. Here's the post:

"I know of a women in Spring City PA who has 90 GSDS. 40are her house dogs. I was so shocked that she is legally allowed to have that many dogs, period! She is an older woman, and the real shock is she is a USDA licenced breeder! She pumps out hundreds of puppys and has them all born in her house!!!!! She has inherited a lot of cash and has bought great GSDs from all over the world! And I bet my arm, most of these famous breeders do not have a clue how their dogs live. Most of the time she doesn't know who bred with who. SAD SAD SAD ! Here is her web site below: Jolindy's German Shepherds."

Certainly doesn't look like the Bidens are off to a good start with their new puppy, which is a shame because they have owned Shepherds in the past, and you would think that someone knowledgable about the breed would have some knowledge about purchasing a puppy from a reputable breeder, and how to tell a reputable breeder from a commercial breeding operation or a puppy mill."

"It did bring up two dogs competing at a 2007 German Shepherd Club trials in Southern New Jersey and Delaware, which are listed with ILP (Indefinite Listing Privilege) numbers instead of actual AKC registrations. Which brings up the question why the dogs are not able to be actually registered with the AKC if they are from registered, quality breeding stock.

Maybe the latter has something to do with the fact that she was also suspended by the American Kennel Club in 2006 for falsifying information on three separate litter registrations. The actual text of the suspension reads as follows -

The AKC's Management Disciplinary Committee has suspended Ms. Linda Brown, Spring City, PA, from all AKC privileges for one year, effective April 10, 2006, and imposed a $1000 fine for having submitted or caused to be submitted three litter registration applications that she knew, should have known, or had a duty to know contained false certifications as to the sire and/or dam (DNA exclusion)."

MORE QUOTES FROM THIS BLOG:

"Linda Brown/Wolf Den/Jolindy Kennels is a high volume breeder and sells a lot of Shepherds!

Total dogs sold, according to PA kennel inspection reports:

2008: (as of July 08): 128
2007: 228
2006: 287
2005: 199
2004: 166
2003: 61

December 13, 2008
beans said...
We went to see this place and it made us sick . . .we would never go back and I am saddened that they did this. maybe it will bring to light the horrible conditions those dogs live in and how awful it is.

December 13, 2008
zoomom said...
Great, truthful info. provided on this blog. Hopefully the info gets out to prevent this breeder from profitting further from this mistaken judgement of the new V.P. You would think, as soon as he walked onto that property, he would have changed his mind !!! There has been a St.Bernard dog ( 3 of which are housed outdoors with just small dog boxes year round) with extensive matting since last spring, and it is just getting worse !!!Anyone who drives by this kennel can see the disgrace in the care of this one dog, god help all the poor dogs hidden in overcrowded pens and runs !!!
They used to keep packs of shepherds in these front yard pens, til one jumped out and attacked a jogger about 4 years ago. There have also been many local complaints about her shepherds running loose in packs and attacking/killing pets and livestock in the area. Check police reports....
We can only hope that this newfound publicity will lead to enough complaints to revoke her kennel/ breeding licence!"

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I was so hoping that the kennel would prove to be a good one...

I hope we have some follow up from Biden and others involved.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting this! I was so hoping that the kennel would prove to be a good one...

I hope we have some follow up from Biden and others involved.[/b]
I'm hoping the Obamas decide to rescue a dog- that would send a great message to everyone.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Hope your rescue pups are continuing to do well and can be placed soon!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts