Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyones hounds ever experianced diarhea while using satin ball? Trying to put a few pounds back on my Maggie, who was alway a trifle thin, but has recently lost weight. She developed diarhea about 3-4 days after getting 1 meatball sized satin ball per day. We now have her diarhea under control and will give her a small meal tonight and if all goes well restart her regular meals tomorrow. I would like to continue with 1 satin ball a day but am uncertain. Vet said give it a whirl but.......She hasn't had a proper meal since Monday night so I'm certain she is even further behind in her weight gain.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What is Satin Ball? I've never heard of it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a treat/meal supplement given when trying to put weight on a dog. This is the recipe.

Satin Balls for Dogs
[for putting on weight for skinny dogs]

10 pounds hamburger meat
1 large box of Total cereal [for the right vitamin & mineral balance]
1 large box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup of unflavored molasses
10 raw eggs
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf. Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze, to feed as regular diet, or freeze and wrap in smaller amounts to use as supplements/treats. Thaw as needed.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thanks..no wonder I didn't know what it was. I've had 7 bassets, and never had need of anything to put weight *on*. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I haven't had problems with them, but if she's only eaten the one food her stomach could be upset simply from eating something different.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think I'd have diarrhea from eating these -- they're awfully rich and loaded with roughage. As Soundtrack said, a sudden change in diet could cause this....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts