Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I couldn't stand her being upset any more so my husband and I adopted a collie cross. now Sammies acting weird aging.... I mean they play together all the time. She's even getting better with house training :) but she's chasing after jag (new puppies name) and trying to eat his legs?? He lays down Sammie comes over and grabs his leg? We have never had a big enough puppy that she could just let Go and play, so is it normal for her to play like that? She's not hurting him ( we made sure that they were around the same age... Jag is 1 month older then Sammie). Maybe it was to soon?

She has more energy now and seems happier. Eats better doesn't cry any more, it just weird that she tries to eat his leggs lol.

Any suggestions?

Oh one more thing sense we got jag she has gotten his chewing habits and chews everything! I was studying for exams today and she took my pen right out of my hand ( it was cute) till I had to hunt her down to get it back.....

Any ideas on bones that last a long time????

·
Registered
761 Posts
Nylabones are a good choice for longevity. Doppler is a power chewer and it takes him months to get his Nylabone down enough for me to replace it. Just make sure to get an appropriately sized Nylabone.

As for the leg biting. I think that's just playing. Doppler and Virga do that too. As long as there's no blood being shed or yelping from pain I say let them be. You'll know when it gets serious.

Congrats on your new addition and I'm glad Sammie is seeming better.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
First off, congratulations on your new pup! I'm so glad it's helping Sammie.

I think sometimes what we perceive as rough play is really ok between two puppies. I was freaked out when I first brought Winston home and he and Molly proceeded to chew each other's ears and faces (they still do this). Believe me, if Jag doesn't like it, he'll let Sammie know. She'll get the message. It's how they learn acceptable behavior, bite inhibition, etc. Now if there's blood being drawn or Jag's leg starts bothering him, that's when it's too much.

As far as a long-lasting bone, I have yet to find one. I'm interested in hearing other members' suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
The leg thing seems to be how Bassets like to play with taller dogs. At least, mine do.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
The leg thing seems to be how Bassets like to play with taller dogs. At least, mine do.
I have never seen a basset not do this they also tend to be the dogs jumping up on taller dogs as well especial the head and neck. Bassets tend to be very rambunctious in play.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Rambunctious is a good word. Worm is a Jekyll/Hyde type. He is very calm at home and quiet (hope this lasts...), but the reports i get from his daycares sounds like a different fella. highly, highly active, running around the whole time, noisy and loud and barking a lot. when people see him running, they often remark 'i didn't know your dog could move that fast.' alas, poor Worm. so misunderstood.

Congrats on the new pal for Sammie! they will be best buds in no time, we think. as for chewing body parts, when Worm plays w/non-bassets, they end up with his ear in their mouths. like 'oh' what a nice chew toy, warm and leathery. but i do watch it, as we met a basset with 'lumpy' ears, and her owner said it's because the other dogs chewed a lot on them (...there was a lot of scar tissue...)... more pics please ^_^

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Worm is a Jekyll/Hyde type. He is very calm at home and quiet (hope this lasts...), but the reports i get from his daycares sounds like a different fella. highly, highly active, running around the whole time, noisy and loud and barking a lot. when people see him running, they often remark 'i didn't know your dog could move that fast.' alas, poor Worm. so misunderstood
typical basset able to turn off and mellow completely but kick it in to high gear when the opportunity to do so exists, many outsiders misinterpret the ability to turn it off as being lazy, mellow or couch potatoes when it just means they are not over the top wired ( mariah being and exception) like so many herding and terrier breeds.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bassets are opportunistic ,give them a long legger and they go for the legs, the long leggers go for the ears.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I am so glad that they are getting along. After everything that has happened in the last month it is good to see that she is getting back to her old ways.

I called the pet store and they said that there is a nylabone for big dogs, that is supposed to last a long time. Apparently its in a sliver package and still looks like a knoted or beef bone. Has any one tired these? I was kinda worried about allowing them to chew on plastic, ive never tried nylabones, do pieces break off?

Completely off topic but I am getting different statements from people, how often are you supposed to clean a bassets ears? Vet tells me once a week because you dont want them to get cleaned to often, but the breeder tells me to check the ears daily and if they appear dirty to clean them... which may lead to cleaning the ears more then once a week....

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
was kinda worried about allowing them to chew on plastic, ive never tried nylabones, do pieces break off?
depends on the size of the bone and the strength of the chewer. Some dog can break of pieces of real bone as well. It is a mater of sizing the chew for the type of chewer the dog is. if the dog is a srong chewer you may want to look at Nylabone gallieo series besides being made out a a stronger matterial it has unique shape that makes it stronger as well, no small ends to leverage.

never had a dog yet actually us a plastic chew but the smae danger exist with natyral chews as well. in some case natural chews are inherently more dangerious.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
A Briard chewed a piece of nyla bone off once,required surgery.Briards are large herding dogs but if they can do it so can a basset. Personally, I don't trust any bone my guys will get raw hide rolls as long as I am home. Rope toys are good to chew,I'm having the puppies chew on them now, everything with supervision.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
I don't trust any bone my guys will get raw hide rolls
every dog is different for me rawhide is on of the more dangerious chew with large saliva reserves it is soon in sheet form with large chunks ready to be swallowed whole

no chew is 100% safe and it is best to supervise a dog when giving one.,

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yeah, more than once I've had to stick my hand down Lightning's throat to pull out rawhide he was choking on. He used to destroy anything I gave him. The big knucklebone nylabones are the only thing he can't destroy. He doesn't really chew anymore, but when he did he loved his nylabones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts