Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Samantha turned 7 on Christmas Eve. She has always been as healthy as a horse. We noticed she was more mopey than usual the last 2-3 weeks. but thought it had to do with being back on the work routine after the holidays. She also quit eating her dog food… She would still eat treats and whatever else she could find… but she was losing weight. She has lost 19 pounds!! She now weighs 51 pounds which is ideal for her body type… but it is because she now has diabetes. Her blood sugar was 470 at the vets today. We started her on insulin and she is now on the Hill's W/D diet. No more treats… How do you tell a basset she cannot have any more good stuff? I was told they make low carb treats so guess I will have to find some for her. I am a bit numb at the moment and will have to do research to make sure we give her the best care. If you have any suggestions on treats or feedings we would love to hear them! Send some drool for my poor little girl!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I can't offer any advice, but I'll send good thoughts her way. It's good that you caught the problem and are getting it under control.

I hope you can find some good, healthy treats for Samantha!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Just sending positive thoughts your way!

~Heather

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I don't have any experience with this, but I wanted to wish you & Samantha well. Have you researched making your own treats? I don't know anything about making low-carb treats, but I often make Spencer treats due to his allergies, & he loves them. I'd google it - I bet something would come up! Good luck.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I did find a canine diabetes forum with some wonderful suggestions. I think she is already feeling better after just 2 days with insulin. Her tail is wagging and she barked at Jake this afternoon! This was so sudden- I looked at our Christmas pictures and she was just fine... and now she is a scrawny 51 pounds... which is her ideal weight- but she has been around 70 for several years... so she looks very odd to us. The vet did say she was the healthiest looking sick dog she had seen... If she had not seen the weight loss on the scale she might not have believed it! I don't like this growing older stuff!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I had never heard of a dog getting diabetes until now. and when I googled it, I found out it's a common diagnosis. Anyway, I'm glad Samantha is feeling better already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts