Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,267 Posts
Murray gets salmon regularly- fish is his only protein source due to allergies- I cook it really well.

I read someplace that raw salmon can carry an organism that while not harmful to human can hurt dogs- I can't remember where I read this, if I can find a link I'll post it.

edited to say here's the link:


Fishing can be wonderful recreation, but sharing the catch with your dog can be an act of kindness that kills. Salmon Poisoning Disease is a horrific and often fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain raw fish. Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It's this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.

"Salmon poisoning is most prevalent west of the Cascade mountain range," says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University's College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, "Canids are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That's why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly without consequence."
1 - 1 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.