Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Thursday, Sally developed extremely watery, bloody stool. The day before she had been normal. We took her to the vet, and everything was OK except her blood sugar, which was in the 30's. Thye blood work was repeated the next day with the same results. We took her to the emergency vet last night....she stopped drinking, and even with sub Q fluids she was crashing. They got her on an IV which stabilized her. She had an ultrasound this morning and the results showed that her spleen was infected and basically falling apart. I can't believe how acute the onset was, but apparently this is not uncommon with this sort of thing. She's in surgery now.......we're waiting for the call. Please think some good thoughts for her.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Lots of drool headed Sally's way. I'm so glad they figured out what was going on and can get the spleen out.

Hope she can come home soon and recover where she belongs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
oh my! you and Sally are in Louie and My thoughts. Louie's crossing his ears that things go smoothly!! please keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sally had her surgery this afternoon. The vet said that there seemed to be no involvement of the liver or lymph nodes, and that there wasn't anything there that could be classified as a tumor. Apparently her spleen was a mass of infected lesions. Even though she was passing watery stool with blood, her digestive tract looked good. He says he has seen this before, but doesn't know the cause. So far she is doing fine, but he wants to keep her for a couple of days so they can keep her on IV for pain control.

We have had to scramble to come up with the money for this - $6000. Worth every penny. Thank goodness I'm married to a man who is as crazy about them as I am. I'm very fortunate.

Betsy, do you have any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Your vet will have sent the spleen to pathology, and hopefully for cultures, if infection is suspected. Once the path report comes back, you should have the information you need, going forward. Sending very best wishes that she has a treatable process. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Betsy. The doc said the pathology results should be in by the middle of next week. I'm going to try and not worry about it too much and concentrate on getting her home and over the surgery. Thanks everybody for the good wishes!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Goodness! I'm glad surgery went well. Keep us posted when you get the results!

~Heather

1 - 10 of 10 Posts