Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one thing I could really use some help on is a better puppy sales contract?

I think ours covers everything it should but it’s not very professional and I don’t want to leave anything out that should be there?

Does anyone have one they can email me?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Well. As a buyer, I would only accept a contract which specified thebreeder as being legally and financially obligated for all of the following:

1. Complete vet records for a puppy, the name of all vets, their telephone numbers and payment by you for all appointments I have with them to verify whatever information you give me.
2. Complete tests records for all breed specific disorders 3-4 generations back
3. Vet records for both parents and possibly all grandparents, with these records being verifiable by me
4. Statement of your egal and financial obligation to pay for all care required by a pup due to genetic or breed specific disorders, or problems arising due to failure of proper care while still in your possession.
5. Etc.

Otherwise, I'll stick with rescue, thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From your posting, I am assuming that you are more interested in wording and format than in content (because you already have that base covered). If so, you'd probably want to start with something like:

"The terms and conditions set forth below constitute the expression of all the terms of this agreement and a complete and exclusive state of the agreement between the Purchaser and Seller. Any alleged verbal agreements not included within this contract or its addendum shall not be recognized."

Then, put a subheader for each important segment of the contract (ex: what buyer is receiving, payment terms, limitation of warranty, limitation of liability, legal proceedings, etc.), followed by the terms governing each segment.

Pay careful attention to the parts about your liabilities and warranties, and be as COMPLETE and ACCURATE as possible with all parts.

In the warranties section, let buyer know under what conditions they can use the warranty, and what they can get (ex: In the case that the puppy passes away within one year of sale, the buyer is entitled to a partial refund or another puppy, etc.) And also at the end of this section, add: "Except as set forth herein, Seller makes no warranty, express or implied, including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular purpose to Buyer with respect to the goods.

Under liabilities, state what, if anything, you agree to be liable for (ex: veterinary care for a genetic disease, etc.) and the extent to which you will be liable (ex: Seller will pay vet bills in whole/part, etc.) Also, include the following: "In no event shall the Seller be liable for any special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of or connected with the sale of the puppy, including any damages of property or person caused by the puppy," (etc.)

Towards the end, have terms written for Legal Proceedings that look something like:
"The parties agree that any legal proceeding brought to enforce the terms and conditions of
this contract shall be conducted in the appropriate court located in (Seller's state), USA. This contract shall be governed by the laws of the state of (Seller's state), USA. "

You may also write in a clause/s covering cancellation of the contract, what happens in the case of payment default, or whatever else you can come up with.

If necessary, add an addendum for any additional terms that may have been negotiated for specific sales.

Hope that's a start. =)

(Please note: The above does not constitute legal advice.) <-- just covering my own tail =)

[ July 14, 2003, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: tling ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts