Basset Hounds Forum banner

Sadie's been diagnosed... :(

6K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  Oliver Twist 
#1 ·
I posted a little over a week ago that the vet found a mass on Sadie's spleen while doing an ultrasound to try to diagnose her liver problems. As it turns out, the liver problems are not so bad, but the mass on her spleen is cancer. This type of cancer is extrmemly aggressive, & not curable. Surgery & chemo are options, but the vet admitted it would only buy a couple months at most. Considering that & her age, I have chosen not to treat the cancer. In just the last few days, I have noticed a big change in her behavior - eating very little, very lethargic & the spark in her is gone. I am just heartbroken. Sadie is the first dog that was mine. I ask for your good thoughts as we go through this difficult time. Also, any advice on making her last days as comfortable as possible from any who have gone through similar things would be appreciated.
Thanks, Amy

#29 ·
I've lost two dogs to cancer and it's horribly hard, but all you can do is love her real hard and as others have said, spoil her rotten and give her anything she wants, especially stuff she couldn't have before. As for Spencer, it's going to be hard for him, and he'll grieve for a while after she's gone, and for him, just be as normal as you can for now, and after Sadie leaves, pamper and love on him and keep him busy and eventually he'll be okay. When Rosie left us, George was inconsolable for a couple of weeks and he wouldn't eat much and didn't want to play or even go for walks, but we spoiled him and made a big fuss over him and he got over it at last. He'll be your best comfort and you'll be his. I'm so sorry.

#30 ·
I'm so sorry to hear of what poor Sadie is going through. It's awful enough when the prognosis is good I can't imagine the pain when it's not. I'll be praying for both of you and hope everything passes as easily as is possible.

#31 ·
I'm sorry to hear your sad news about Sadie. :( I always tell people (me included) get all the information you can, from your vet and basset owning friends, then listen to your heart. Your heart will tell you when it's time.

People have different criteria for making that final decision and some don't believe in euthanasia, ever. Pain, no appetitie, no sparkle in the eye or wag of the tail, tells me it's time to let go. You'll know when it's time for you to let go. So sorry for the pain you are feeling and for Sadie's cancer.

Barbara

#33 ·
Thank you again, everyone. Sadie just got through eating 1/2 jar of baby food mixed with a little can food. Sabian's Mom, a co-worker & a fellow dog lover told me that saying about they know how much they are loved & it did make me feel better. Sadie's vet made me feel better too, he said he knows how hard this is on me, but what I am feeling is a human emotion. He said to keep in mind that Sadie does not know what is happening, which is a good thing & we can still do some things to make her a happy dog in the time that is left. Twinkie's Mum, thanks for the link to the website. I agree, the last paragraph does clarify things. And Sandy, I'm glad to hear you asked your vet to come to your house. I was thinking of doing the same thing when that time comes. Sadie has always been afraid at the vet & I would rather she make her trip to the Bridge from home. Again, thank you everyone. It does mean alot to hear from everyone. Amy

#34 ·
I'm sorry to hear about Sadie. :( My feeling is that it's best to let them go before they feel too much pain or become too distressed--if I can see it, it's gone on too long. :( It's a very difficult decision, and I wish you and Sadie well.

#35 ·
More good wishes and sympathy from us, too. Even though we all must face this time with our pets, and even if we'vebeen through it before, it's painful everytime. Just smother Sadie with adoration, and she will always tell you what you need to know, inculding how special you are to her as well.

And for your other pup, I'm not certain there is much you will be able to do, and he will grieve in his own way. I think the best thing for him, including now when Sadie is ill and things may not be 'normal', is to try and give him as much steady structure as you can. That may offer him some little comfort in feeling that although he is going through a great loss, there are still things 'he can count on' if that makes sense.

G
#36 ·
I just want to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious baby.

I agree with the others that just loving her to the end is the best thing for both of you. I can't imagine the pain you are going through right now but just know we are all thinking and praying for the both of you!

Take care!

Kathy

#37 ·
I am so sorry. We had to let go of our 10 year old cat about 2years ago and all I can offer is that you will know when it is time. Good luck and our thoughts are with you.
LA and Oliver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.