Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We are so sorry to hear such sad news about your wonderful Sadie. We lost our beloved Bubba, our seven year old basset, to Lymphoma Cancer this past Dec. 20th. We know the terrible time you will be going through, but know that you have wonderful friends on this forum that do understand. Their support and strength helped us so very much as they shared their thoughts and cried with us.
We spent hours on the floor laying beside Bubba holding him and stoking him in those final days, and we did make a pallet and slept beside him those last nights. He had always slept beside our bed upstairs , and he couldn't make that journey any more. He ate very little, tried everything we could think of, but the rice and hamburger worked the best and he would nibble pieces from our hand.
You will know when the time is right for you and Sadie to make that final journey. That last morning when he raised his head and looked at us with those sad, beautiful brown eyes and could not get up, we knew it was time to give him peace and let him go. We did stay with him at the Vet's and we knew we were doing the right thing for him.
Now we know that he is waiting for us at the "Rainbow Bridge" with all the other wonderful Bassets and animals that are now frolicking in the sun with their friends. Bubba, Maggie Mae, Toughy, and many others from this forum witll give Sadie a warm welcome at the Bridge and you can find peace knowing that you have given her years of love and care, and that you let her go to a better place where she would be pain free. You and your family are in our thoughs and prayers, and we send hugs and share in your tears.

Arooos from Bogie!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Sadie during this time.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
After putting Soffi to sleep, I thought about how to
chose the right time. It's clear that prolonging the
suffering for 14 days would not make it any easier
for the owner. If it's terrible the 15th - it will be just
as bad the 30th. The only difference is that we may
put our beloved basset through unnecessary pain.
In deed they have a advantage compared to us,
they don't need to be tormented forever.

It's very tough to decide when to do it, it's like playing
God. Who am I to chose between life and death for
another being? It will take time to get over it, but you'll
do that - with the help of Spencer.

You all will be in our thoughts!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Everyone on here told me I would know when it was time. Well, on his last night, I wanted to call the vet, but my son begged me not too. He hoped the medicine would kick in, but I knew he was suffering. So I slept on the floor with Duke, and he paced all night, couldn't breathe.

At 6 in the morning I called my son, then I called the vet. For an extra 35 dollars, the vet came to our home, and Duke went peacefully in my son's arms. It was well worth it to have him come to our home. I couldn't imagine taking him out to the vet when he was already in such distress.

I regret waiting, because Duke had a terrible night. I knew it was time the night before...and you will too, when you see your dear hound in pain and uncomfortable. Just wish I hadn't waited.

To Duke's credit, he managed one big bark at the vet when he came in, I thought, "good for you, you tell em Duke!"

I wish you and Sadie peace...

Sandy

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am so sorry for what you and Sadie are going through.Please know that we are all here for you.My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Karen

·
Registered
813 Posts
I've lost two dogs to cancer and it's horribly hard, but all you can do is love her real hard and as others have said, spoil her rotten and give her anything she wants, especially stuff she couldn't have before. As for Spencer, it's going to be hard for him, and he'll grieve for a while after she's gone, and for him, just be as normal as you can for now, and after Sadie leaves, pamper and love on him and keep him busy and eventually he'll be okay. When Rosie left us, George was inconsolable for a couple of weeks and he wouldn't eat much and didn't want to play or even go for walks, but we spoiled him and made a big fuss over him and he got over it at last. He'll be your best comfort and you'll be his. I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of what poor Sadie is going through. It's awful enough when the prognosis is good I can't imagine the pain when it's not. I'll be praying for both of you and hope everything passes as easily as is possible.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your sad news about Sadie. :( I always tell people (me included) get all the information you can, from your vet and basset owning friends, then listen to your heart. Your heart will tell you when it's time.

People have different criteria for making that final decision and some don't believe in euthanasia, ever. Pain, no appetitie, no sparkle in the eye or wag of the tail, tells me it's time to let go. You'll know when it's time for you to let go. So sorry for the pain you are feeling and for Sadie's cancer.

Barbara

·
Registered
932 Posts
We are so sorry about Sadie. Please give her (and Spencer) a hug from us.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thank you again, everyone. Sadie just got through eating 1/2 jar of baby food mixed with a little can food. Sabian's Mom, a co-worker & a fellow dog lover told me that saying about they know how much they are loved & it did make me feel better. Sadie's vet made me feel better too, he said he knows how hard this is on me, but what I am feeling is a human emotion. He said to keep in mind that Sadie does not know what is happening, which is a good thing & we can still do some things to make her a happy dog in the time that is left. Twinkie's Mum, thanks for the link to the website. I agree, the last paragraph does clarify things. And Sandy, I'm glad to hear you asked your vet to come to your house. I was thinking of doing the same thing when that time comes. Sadie has always been afraid at the vet & I would rather she make her trip to the Bridge from home. Again, thank you everyone. It does mean alot to hear from everyone. Amy

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Sadie. :( My feeling is that it's best to let them go before they feel too much pain or become too distressed--if I can see it, it's gone on too long. :( It's a very difficult decision, and I wish you and Sadie well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
More good wishes and sympathy from us, too. Even though we all must face this time with our pets, and even if we'vebeen through it before, it's painful everytime. Just smother Sadie with adoration, and she will always tell you what you need to know, inculding how special you are to her as well.

And for your other pup, I'm not certain there is much you will be able to do, and he will grieve in his own way. I think the best thing for him, including now when Sadie is ill and things may not be 'normal', is to try and give him as much steady structure as you can. That may offer him some little comfort in feeling that although he is going through a great loss, there are still things 'he can count on' if that makes sense.

G

·
I just want to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious baby.

I agree with the others that just loving her to the end is the best thing for both of you. I can't imagine the pain you are going through right now but just know we are all thinking and praying for the both of you!

Take care!

Kathy

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am so sorry. We had to let go of our 10 year old cat about 2years ago and all I can offer is that you will know when it is time. Good luck and our thoughts are with you.
LA and Oliver

21 - 37 of 37 Posts