Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
New, tall friends, who can run much faster but not nearly as long. Determination & persistence pays off
in games of chase bassets are one of the few dogs that routinely cheat that is they will away readust thier path to cut the dog being chased off via a shorter path watch other dog and they tend to follow the same path as the lead dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes a bassets go to do what a bassets got to do which we all know is follow their nose. But at the dog park it's done on a run,.... because all dogs run.... everywhere....all at once.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've noticed the short cuts as well. Half the time is a short cut, half the time she's distracted by something else, a smell, another dog running, or just lost interest.

Thanks for the compliments. After having a typical tri-color for 15 years we decided we needed another basset. We didn't want friends/family comparing to our previous dog. Sadie fit the bill, atypical tri color, we resued her from a local shelter and have been very happy since. She knows her name, is housebroken and doesn't go after food. Nothing more we could ask for.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
huh? Doesn't go after food? Where in the world did you find this beautiful girl who doesn't counter surf, steal anything edible, sit by the dinner table waiting, waiting and waiting? She is so pretty...enjoy her.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning is OBSESSED with his meals. But he doesn't counter surf, and I leave the pantry door open all the time, with the dogfood bag open as well. He's never tried to get into the bag. But leave a paper napkin anywhere within his reach, and it's gone. He's such a nut.

·
Registered
633 Posts
She is beautiful. she does not have a white tip on her tail like barney. I have had a few people tell me they have never seen a basset without one.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Goes with the white tip on the tail Is so they are easier to see in the field To be perfectly honest some time a dark tail is easier to see than a white tiped one.

FWIW zephyr had do white on her tail and one of her sister only had a few 2-3 white hairs on tip It is nore common than people think

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
She is just too cute for words – I love the coloring of her. You could see on the one photo her hair was up on her back. I wish I could take ours to the dog park around us – I’ve heard a few stories about irresponsible owners so I say away.

She’s a Beautiful hound…

Jen~

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for your comments. We adaopted Sadie earlier this year from a local agency (ARF in Glen Ellyn). Sometimes we wonder if she's a true basset as some of her behaviors are nothing like our previous one. With her markings and petite size we sometimes wonder if an amorous dachsund was in her ancestry. We still find it hard to believe that somebody gave her up. As I say, she is a very well behaved dog, and an exceptionally well behaved basset.

We went back to the dog park this weekend. It was 20 deg. cooler so more dogs and more activity, same results. All the dogs at the park are resonably well behaved. Sadie likes playing with the large dogs who sometimes don't know what to make of her. Any basset is a child magnet. Their height and their non-threataning look means there's always a crowd of little ones petting Sadie, or in the past her predecessor Bailey. When the large dogs really start running it's amusing to watch Sadie try to cath up and take shortcuts. When she looses interest in running with the large dogs, we take a walk in the forested part of the park so she can investigate all the smells. The park encomapsses sixty eight acres so plenty of area to roam around and play with other dogs or wander on your own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts