Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Sadly, I had to send one of my pack back to the Rescue centre. Benji, having had a horrid life so far, seemed to be just too damaged. He took a sudden dislike to my partner and became viscious, just snapping whenever he came downstairs. Benji would be fine most of the time, but would suddenly snap for no reason at all.

It was a heartbreaking decision to make, as you all know how much I wanted things to work out, but I just felt that my partner and Snoopy weren't safe in their own home. I'm so angry at Benji's previous "owners", how anyone could be so horrid to him.

I feel a bit of a failure that I couldn't reach out to this houndie, but I feel slightly better that I returned him to rescue in a much better condition than he arrived in. He's no longer all skin and bone. The rescue team were made fully aware of his behavioural issues. I did try to contact an animal behaviourist, as I did NOT want to give up, but there was a very loing waiting list, and they couldn't do anything for us for about 3 months. In the mean time, my partner was all black and blue, and Snoopy and Henry were terrified.

It was a very painful decision to make, and I feel I've failed somehow. :(

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Had the Rescue told you about his aggression before you took him? Your heart was in the right place.I'm so sorry to hear this.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Your heart was in the right place. Please don't feel like you failed him. You did a wonderful thing by taking him to begin with. It sounds like you made the right decision for all of you. His time with you was probably the best time in his life so far. Be proud that you were willing to share your home with his guy. I'm sure the rescue will try to place him. Take care.

·
Registered
773 Posts
You didn't fail poor Benji -- his previous people did. I do hope rescue is able to help him find a way to a better life. But not all damage can be fixed, unfortunately. At least you tried.....

·
Registered
284 Posts
so sorry to hear this news.

you have to think of yourselves and family first. an agressive dog must be very scary to live with just for a few days never mind a lifetime.

i think you've done the right thing.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Please don't beat yourself up over this. You did your best for Benji and gave him a loving home and tried to help him. You did the right thing for you family. An agressive dog can be very dangerous, and sadly many are so badly damaged by others it can take years of professional help to no avail. I'm sure the rescue will do their best for Benji. You got him on the right track to a healthy life and hopefully there will be a loving family that can continue his journey and be able to deal with his behavorial issues.
My hats off to you and the many other wonderful people out there that work with rescued animals. You are exceptional people.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm so sorry about Benji. I just went through this with Homer, for the same reasons - aggression issues. He was going after my cats, one in particular, with a vengeance. Our other dog, a Lab mix, who had previously been fine with the cats, is a follower and he thought Homer was pretty cool. So they became a pack and were actually trying to really harm the cat. I was always having to rescue him. Homer also had an issue with resource guarding and the other dogs couldn't have any toys that he might want and fight them for. Homer could also be a sweetheart with me, but was a real handful - always counter-surfing, jumping on furntiure, growling at anyone who he didn't know, barking when in his crate, and the list goes on. I got a wonderful home for him and brought him there on Sunday. I explained all his bad traits so she would know what she was getting into but she still wanted him very badly. So far, I haven't had any bad news.......so I'm assuming all is well. I cried for a week because I was so crazy about him. I had him for 2+ years and this was extremely difficult for me. But now that it's done, it's not so bad. I will adjust just as he will. He probably saw me for the push-over that I am!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts