Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out yesterday that our vet is going to retire. :( He had reduced his time at the clinic the last few years, but he will officially retire on June 1st. He will retire 50 YEARS to the day that he got his degree. He had worked at the same clinic for 48 years.

He was a very dedicated vet. He spent many late nights driving to the clinic to check on animals. He also slept in his office when he had animals needing 24 hour care. If you had an emergency, he would be at the clinic before you got there.

About 20 years ago, our family dog was hit by a car, late on a saturday night. He spent several hours in surgery that night, reconstructing the dog's nose. The total bill was less than $200. He also made a lot of visits to the family farm. He worked on all sizes of animals, from cattle & horses, and all the way down to hamsters.

We are sad to see him go, but we are happy for him also. Dozer & Digger will miss you.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Phewwww!!!!!!!! :eek: thought you were referring to Digger or Dozer there for a minute. Sounds like you had a great caring vet.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I had a vet like that when I lived in CT and I don't think I could ever tell him how much I appreciated him.

I hope he enjoys his retirement - sounds like he has earned it! Wonder if he'll be back in 6 months having decided he's bored.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I too was woried that you were talking about one of the hounds. Glad you're not. Good caring vets are hard to come by, is your vet passing the practice to someone you know, or is it a stranger?

~Heather

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If my vet retired I probably wouldn't have another animal. But she's building a new hospital so she's going to have to stay in business a while to pay off the mortgage!

For me it takes a long time to build a mutually trusting relationship with a veterinarian. And I don't want to go thru that again.

So understand where you're coming from Dozer-Digger. Though you had me worried there for a minute, too!

·
Registered
775 Posts
You also scared me when I saw the subject.

I agree it is so hard to find a good vet but it sounds like he has earned his retiremenet. Maybe he can refer you to someone?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Whew as well, wow I thought it was one of the houndies there when I saw the title ... Glad the vet's just retiring, sounds like he deserves it! :)

Hopefully you can find one just as dedicated that'll be there for you and the fur-babies. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
It is so wonderful that you had such a special relationship with him. I still keep in touch via email with Maggie Mae's (ATB) Vet. He is the Veternarian for the Philadelphia police dogs. He is incredible. He always went out of his way for my dogs. He was the most compassionate Vet I ever met. When we moved I went into his office to say goodbye and made a fool out of myself because I cried my eyes out in his waiting room full of patients :rolleyes: I go to see him whenever I am in Phila. Hopefully you can build another good relationship with someone else. That doesn't come easy :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about the title, I wasn't thinking about it. Hope it didn't scare anyone too bad.

The clinic has several good vets. The original vets have several family members that are vets there too. I trust everyone of them there.

The clinic is in the next town over, but they opened a branch office in my town. One of the vets opens it for 2 days a week. It's great for me, I don't have to haul the hounds 15 miles for appointments. I can actually walk them there. (my town is only about 1/2 mile square)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts