Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another sad story of abuse- you can help...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My friend Martha sent this to me. She's very involved in the basset world in Western Canada. She's also involved in placing rescued bassets. I hate reading this kind of thing, but I am going to write a letter, on behalf of that poor dog.

I wonder how the kid felt when he came down off his 'high', and saw what he did to the family dog. Or else he was just a twisted sick kid to begin with...I could cry.

Sandy

Send to a Friend | Donate Now | Join Our Activist Network

Dear Martha,

It is among the most disturbing, sickening acts of cruelty-to-animals reported this year. And it happened in your province.

Daniel Haskett, 19, of Didsbury and an unnamed 17-year-old male face charges stemming from their alleged, ultimately fatal torture of the Haskett family's dog in Didsbury, north of Calgary, on October 8. The defendants are accused of binding the animals legs together and duct-taping her muzzle before tethering her by her neck to a vehicle. They then evidently dragged the animal an estimated 100 meters, breaking her neck, back, and pelvis and leaving her covered in lacerations. The dog was found lying in a pool of blood that evening and was euthanized in light of her condition.

Harold Haggelund, an assistant crown prosecutor based in Calgary, is tasked with bringing the accused to court and, we hope, to justice.

Please thank Haggelund in advance for his vigorous pursuit of these charges and respectfully remind him that people who abuse animals rarely do so only once and almost never stop there. Politely explain that the safety of the community and its animals may well be at stake and ask Haggelund that, if the defendants are found guilty, he work with the courts to take the following actions:

Incarcerate the defendants.
Order them to undergo psychiatric evaluations and subsequent counselling.
Bar them from all future contact with animals.
Impolite correspondence will detract from our efforts.

Harold Haggelund, Assistant Crown Prosecutor
Calgary Chief Crown Prosecutor's Office
Rocky Mountain Plaza, 15th Fl.
615 Macleod Trl. S.E.
Calgary, AB T2G 4T8
Canada
403-297-4311 (fax)

Please forward this message to others in your area who might be willing to lend their voices to this important issue. The area's animals are counting on you.

Thank you for your compassion for animals and for your willingness to act.

Sincerely yours,

Dan Paden
Domestic Animal and Wildlife Rescue & Information Department
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sandy, I will write to Harold Haggalund and get as many people as possible to sign the letter. Couldn't read it all but I am sick to my heart. It appalls me that these acts of cruelty, are punished by a ban on having animals for a period. BIG DEAL!! Can't remember who said words to the effect that' you can tell how compassionate a society is by the way it treats it's animals' What does that say about us with the puppymills etc. :(

·
Registered
284 Posts
That just makes me sick. I would grab both those kids and do the same to them without hesitation. People are just unbelievable, cripes I'm mad

Lou

·
Registered
465 Posts
I googled Daniel Haskett. Seems there are plenty people out there willing & able to supply some rope, duct tape, and get behind the wheel to take their revenge on this twisted guy.

Check it out yourself. The language is bad, so I didn't paste it here.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Googling these guys also, I found the following on the Voice for Animals Humane society site:

Both the boys that killed Daisy Duke recently put 2 cats into a bag and beat them to death with a hockey stick; no charges were laid.[/b]
I don't know what you could possibly do to "people" like this that would be enough punishment.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
16 Posts
OMG that poor dog!
I am so upset,can i do anything here in the uk or would i have to be a US resident?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts