Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor Sami! She had the clostridium infection in April that apparently didn't clear all the way- and the horrid vomiting last week. She continued to have the mucusy poops sometimes with blood- so back the the vet before I left for a conference (just got back)- he is keeping her on amoxicillin and added a few days of prednisone to clear up her gut- He says it is colitis- may become chronic or may clear- I have been out of town this week but my husband reports she had another spell of vomiting but it was after giving her the prednisone late at night without food... silly daddies! My question is are there any food supplements that you are aware of that might help with this disease- The vet okayed yogurt- but I forgot to ask about anything else. I have some lactobacillus capsule that are for people with similar problems- I just don't know what might be good to try. We are on a sensitive formula feed- She is not happy about it either. I have bought some canned chicken that looks relatively safe- it's by pedigree- the only one I could find labeled just chicken- She does not appear to be losing weight still and seems to have gained a bit back- Any suggestions for my good girl?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
My first basset experienced repeated episodes of diarrhea, often with blood. They weren't culturing for Clostridium back then, but she had endoscopy with small bowel biopsy and got back a diagnosis of plasmacellular enteritis. She was put on a sensitive GI tract diet, and continued with mucous-y poops and weight loss. She was just miserable.

Not having anything to lose, I changed her diet from Science Diet (poultry as a protein source, if I recall correctly) to Nature's Recipe lamb and rice. That fixed her digestive problems. No more episodes of diarrhea or mucous-y stools, and good weight gain.

I don't know for sure what she didn't tolerate in the Science Diet--I can't say for sure it was the protein, although most food allergies are to the protein sources.

Also not saying that your girl's problem is food-based, but it's something to keep in the back of your mind if you don't seem to be making progress.

You may also want to have a stool culture and sensitivity performed if you haven't already done so, to be sure that Sami isn't harboring an antibiotic resistant strain.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
if your vet suggests yogurt, be aware that most commercial yogurt has little to no active culture in it at this point in time. in essence, all they're selling is the tangy flavor of yogurt and exploiting a market which wants the illusion of doing something good for themselves, although given the amt of sugar and the absence of actual culture, you might as well just go for the donut.

what you want is the culture in yogurt, not the flavor. so you should seek out brands of yogurt known to have the actual culture in it. i have that info somewhere --- i'll see if i can dig it up for you.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Roady had diarrhea of unknow etiology and we went though multiple stool exams, cultures, tests for giardia and finally my vet said, "we're going to have to do an endoscopy" but in the mean time let's put him on Iams fish and potato. Honest to goodness it was like a miracle! A few years later he started with diarrhea again and switched to IVD duck and potato. So it definitely was some sort of food sensitivity or allergy.

But do make sure you vet has tested for giardia. She probably has.

Keep us posted on how Sami is doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts