Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased our first motorhome. Please advise us of any considerations we should be aware of as we plan to take Miss Daisy on all of our ventures. Nothing like driving Miss Daisy. For your infomation, Miss Daisy is 6 yrs old, house broken and quite settled (lazy). She does not bark or howl unless I howl at her first. She gets along with everyone and other dogs and cats. Looking forward to your advice.

Thanks,
Miss Daisy & her driver, Fritz

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
While not a pleasant thought you need to consider what will happen if you are involved in an accident. Given the nature of acidents and the construction of RV this often means the dog escapse and you are spending hours or days trying to find them. Rather than allowing the dog full acess to the rv either confining them to a crate which is secured or using a seatbelt harness device when the vehicle is moving can save a lot of problems if an accident were to happen.

We just purchased our first motorhome. Please advise us of any considerations we should be aware of as we plan to take Miss Daisy on all of our ventures. Nothing like driving Miss Daisy. For your infomation, Miss Daisy is 6 yrs old, house broken and quite settled (lazy). She does not bark or howl unless I howl at her first. She gets along with everyone and other dogs and cats. Looking forward to your advice.

Thanks,
Miss Daisy & her driver, Fritz[/b]

·
Registered
251 Posts
You may want to send a message to BubbaLeroy. That is Connie, mom to Bogie. Bubba is (ATB). Her & her Husband have an RV and live in Memphis. They travel quite a bit with Bogie who is 4 years old. If anyone has some good advice it's Bogie's Mom! :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
We travel in a 39' RV with 3 (yes, three :blink: ) bassets. They are all OK travelers but have their own little issues. Bliss travels in her crate - this is the only way she feels secure. The other two are gated in a small section just behind the cockpit with their dog beds. This keeps them out from under your feet and provides some security in case of a sudden stop. Rocky gets really excited and barks a lot at first but soon settles down, thank goodness. I would take your pup on a few short rides to see how she does before embarking on a major trip. We take along their health records when we go for longer than a weekend. One more thing - it's a good idea to carry some of the water your dog is used to in case she has problems with the local supply. Have fun - I'll bet you all love it.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I traveled for the first time with 10 hounds and a pop up camper, pulled by a Grand Caravan.

I found out the second day that if you put 3 basset hounds in the back end, and none in the front, it tips over.... :blink:

Then I found the jack stands that I was supposed to put under the bumper. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I traveled for the first time with 10 hounds and a pop up camper, pulled by a Grand Caravan.

I found out the second day that if you put 3 basset hounds in the back end, and none in the front, it tips over.... :blink:

Then I found the jack stands that I was supposed to put under the bumper. :rolleyes:[/b]
THANKS for the "tip" (pun intended). I have done the math...with a 33 foot motorhome that has a 10 foot overhang behind the rear wheels I estimate it would take 33 medium to well feed bassets to tip it! PS: I will use the jacks to hold it up.

Great Howls to you all,

Miss Daisy and her driver, Fritz

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yes, Pattie is right, we do travel with Bogie in the RV. We have a 22 foot Born Free "Built for Two". In fact we just got back from a 21 day, 4000+ mile trip out west going from Memphis to Helena, Montana to see our grandsons, and back home via Idaho, Utah, New Mexico, Texas and Arkansas. We toured three National Parks, Canyonlands, Arches, and Mesa Verde. An awesome trip!!!! We stayed at campgrounds the whole trip.

On traveling with Bogie he rides on the couch right behind my seat. He likes it there because he can see out, and he wears a harness and is seat belted in. Keeps him put in case of panic stops, and he snoozes away as the miles roll by. We stop at rest stops for potty breaks for him, give him water, and a small treat. Please keep potty bags handy and clean up after your Basset where ever he goes potty. We have had campground owners thank us for being responsible pet owners.

We take copies of his health records, shots, rabies, etc., any meds, and info on his vet. We carry his own food, treats, dishes, favorite duck, blankets, a short leash, and a longer 30 foot leash if we find a large area he can romp in. Water hasn't been a problem because we use the fresh water in the RV and it is filtered and what we drink.
Bogie wears a collar that has our cell phone # embroidered on it plus his name and plus his tags ( rabies tag: "Canine Good Citizen" tag with our name address, home phone; and his "Avid" microchip tag that has his number on it.) We also carry extra pictures of him we have printed out, in case he should ever get away from us somehow, so you can show people what he looks like. Many people do not know what a Basset looks like. They think there are weiner dogs.

We also carry his grooming stuff and keep sheets on the couch/bed to help with the dog hair. Just pull off and shake out.
We have a generator so we can run the air conditioner on warm days . If it is very hot we do not leave Bogie in the RV, just in case something should happen to the generator, plus we have a temperature sensor on the key fob that tells us the temp in the RV. It reads up to a mile away. Don't depend on the campground electricity to keep your dog cool while you go off. We have had brown outs in campgrounds on hot days, and dogs have been lost in such situations. We either do trips before hot summer days arrive to do lots of sight seeing, like we just did. The temps never got over 75 degrees so Bogie was fine to leave in the RV with out risk. Dogs are only allowed in parking lots in National Parks. You cannot take them on trails. So we leave Bogie in the RV with a baby gate that keeps him out of the driver seat area, his bed on the floor, and a bowl of water with the windows and vents open. If it's very hot when we travel ones stays with Bogie with the AC running while the other sightsees, then switch.

Bogie is not a barker, and we did several test local trips to see how he would behave when we left him. Try it in your driveway to see how he does. Do be vigilant in while stopping and camping. We carry pepper spray with us and my husband carries a walking stick as well after our being attacked in the motel by the two pit bulls. I had neither that night.
Many people just turn their dogs loose and don't follow good sense while on the road or camping.

I hope this helps. Do have fun with the RV. All we have to do is bring out the harness and Bogie starts dancing and ready to roll.

Bogie is seat belted in and loves riding.

Bogie's spot if we leave him. You can see the baby gate.

Our RV in Montana.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have covered many miles with as many as 5 bassets loose in my motorhome. From PA, we have been to San Diego, Phoenix, Cape Cod, Florida, MO, and most places in between. These were all field dogs, and we were on our way to trials or hunts.
The only real problem I encountered was when the motorhome caught fire coming out of Death Valley, and my extinguisher could not put out all of the fire. Had to turn 5 bassets loose in the desert till help arrived. Also, at the Colorado Natiuonals, we camped at the Campground of the Rockies. This place was loaded with deer. We only had 3 hounds on this trip,but when we stopped to look at the trial grounds, the gang found and rolled in a very dead skunk. now we had 3 quite fragrant hounds, one has quills in his jowls. Pulled the quills and headed for the nearest lake. 3 bassets went for a swim. That night,I put the herd in an exercise pen and went for a shower. I returned to a knocked down pen and no hounds. We started walking and heard old Fred baying. Luckily, he was headed for us and we saw the deer cross the driveway and then Fred with Rose right behind him. The other one, Candy, came back on her own.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
We carry pepper spray with us[/b]
for self protection many states regulate mace type products like fire arms On way around restriction and canadian regulations as well are using a product specifical designed for bear. bear deterant. it comes in a much larger containger than mace you hide in the purse but that is one of the advantages as well There is enough deterant to actually work.

Bear pepper spray : Research and information

·
Registered
773 Posts
Connie's advice is dead on. She's clearly very experienced and concerned for her boy's well-being. In my next life, I'd like to be her dog :p .

Securing your dog while traveling is something you don't want to overlook. Accidents do happen, and I've heard some real horror stories regarding RV travel, with and without dogs. I'm not saying this to be the voice of doom, I'm sure the ratio of accidents compared to the number of RVs on the road is comparatively low. But it's still something to keep in mind...

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
for self protection many states regulate mace type products like fire arms On way around restriction and canadian regulations as well are using a product specifical designed for bear. bear deterant. it comes in a much larger containger than mace you hide in the purse but that is one of the advantages as well There is enough deterant to actually work.

Bear pepper spray : Research and information[/b]

For those of us in the North, I'm told that lock de-icer works pretty well, and it's legal to carry.....

As for RV fires, I'm sure those of us who heard about one breeder whose RV caught on fire on her way to Nationals aren't about to forget it - she lost her favorite bitch in that fire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts