Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I was a kid we had a basset named Herbie who would not eat dry food unless we mixed it with canned dog food and a little warm water. He also begged for our peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches; when we gave them to him he would take them out back and bury them in the flower bed, never eating them, but always begging for them. Alice, our second basset, ate anything and everything: canned food, dry food, cat food, loaves of bread, vegetables, garbage, Naugahyde furniture, and nylon stockings!

Bryan W. Fields
http://www.bryanwfields.com

·
Registered
316 Posts
One more thing. Since they don't live with 7 other hounds they probably don't need as many calories as they did before as 7 dogs will play all day long. They are going through a little adjustment. It will be ok.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Todays update!! Finally this morning they ate while my Husband sat next to the bowl telling them good! They won't go near it otherwise! I thought I might go to PetSmart and get some of that Iams Savory Sauce to coat their food. Just about one tablespoon. I don't want to have to kiss their little butts to get them to eat. Something that should come easy and natural. Well, poor Rusty! Now, he has loose poop from the Nutro change. I mixed it with the Hills but mostly it was Nutro. Now, I'll give him 1/2 of Immodium to help slow things down. This food thing is VERY frustrating. My Husband thinks we should continue to mix the Hills with the Nutro and LIGHTLY coat with the Savory Sauce. Then elminate the Hills. I will try this next!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That sounds like a good plan. I was also worried about the change and it's effects but it was brief. It lasted about 48 hrs. Lots of trips outside, though.

I'm so glad they finally ate.

Let me know how they like that sauce stuff and if it has ...effects.

Faye

·
Registered
85 Posts
My girls will not eat just dry dog food. I mix a little canned in there just to make it more interesting. Also, sometimes they go through phases where they won't eat unless I am standing there with them at feeding time. I know thats wierd but it is something I have to do sometimes. It sounds like that kind of worked with you when your husband sat with them. Maybe try that and decrease the amount of time you stay there each time until they are eating on their own. It might be some kind of food anxiety thing. Just a thought.

CTG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
YES!!!!!!!! My Husband went to PetSmart and got 2 new plastic bowls. They have the rubber on the entire bottom so they won't slide on the tile, something that seemed to bother Rusty! He also got 2 bottles of Roasted Beef Flavor Iams Savory Sauce. I "lightly" coated their Hills kibble with the sauce and they ate it up. She always eats first. Then he finishes. I am so happy. But tomorrow is another day. With these 2 it is day to day. They seemed to have trouble chewing the Nutro. They can crunch the Hills with no problem so we decided to stick with the Hills. Rusty really had diarrhea with the Nutro switch. I just will stick with Hills. It didn't give him loose bowels. Thanks for caring about my babies!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
YAY! Keep with the Hills. What is that anyway? I've neaver heard of it ...but that doesn't mean anything! I'm just curious.

If a minimal amount of that gravy make them clean their bowls, so be it. Problem solved. Now you can just enjoy them!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Emily: good point. I'm hoping the Nutro was the only reason he has loose bowels. Faye: I was referring to Hills Science Diet Lamb & Rice Formula. I'm getting lazy and just typing "Hills"!! This morning, no luck! She ate some but I think she is still tired. Within 10 minutes of coming back in from their morning outside, she went to her bed and is sleeping again. He has NO interest. I even took him outside on the lanai as I drank my coffee hoping the time alone with Mommy would help. NOPE! Walked away! Gosh, this is SO frustrating!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I know most people think it's bad to "free feed" but maybe you can do this for a day or so ...just leave food out? On a long shot, maybe they are not in the mood to eat exactly when you are feeding them.

If you're going to be home for a while, just leave it out and ignore them. See if they go to it eventually, at a different time.

Poor little things. Mealtime is such a grand time for most Bassets. I'm sure they'll figure this out.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hills foods seem to lack palatability - I know lots of animals who don't like it. Natural Balance as a brand seems to be very good in this area. I work with non domestic animals who can be very picky when it comes to dry foods, and we have had very good luck with the Natural Balance, several varieties.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ruby got diarrhea on any of the Science Diet foods and the Hills....

You might want to try Eukanuba FP (fish & potato) that Ruby eats. You get it from the vet. She loves it and after eating the dry kibble, she'll drink water and then drop some of it in her food bowl (how she does this without lips is beyond me..), and then will lick up some more of the "flavor" of the kibble.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm really trying to get a hold on this situation. I am trying to stick with this food. I don't want to keep trying different things. Rusty has such a hard time adjusting to change. Today he didn't have diarrhea or too frequent poops but when he went it was loose. I gave him another 1/2 of immodium. If it is still loose tomorrow I will take a fecal sample in just to be sure. Today they both at out of their new bowls. They like them. Stickers NEVER had loose stool on the Hills. She likes it okay. Neither one of them is a great eater like Maggie Mae was. Food was her favorite thing! With their breakfast and dinner they each ate about 2 1/2 cups. Then tonight my Husband was having his nightly snack around 9:00 (He is a diabetic so he needs to have snacks) they were watching him looking hungry. I got a cup of dry kibble and started putting pieces of the tile and presto!! each one at a whole cup before they even knew it! I will do this nightly when their Daddy has his snack! I'll keep everyone posted!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Here's a thought. Rather than buying something for the hounds, just grate some CHEESE on top. Doesn't need to be a lot.

Hope this works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
HOORAH!!!!!!!!!!! This morning we were up at 7:00, kids went out to do their morning pees. Shortly after Rusty had to poop and it was regular, normal poop!!!!!!!!!! My Husband came in to get me and told me to come out to the yard and see. Us two crazy dog parents were standing there saying "Oh it is nice poop"!!! I put 2 cups of the kibble in each of their bowls and coated it with some warm water. Nothing else. They played for about an hour, then Rusty walked over to his bowl and looked up at me. He started to nibble on his food when Stickers came over to bump him out of the way. I took him out on the lanai and sat in the chair while drinking my coffee. Before I knew it he licked the bowl clean!!!!! Then inside for a drink!! She is eating now!!!!!!!! What a GOOD MORNING IN OUR HOUSE!!!!!!!! I have my fingers crossed it continues!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
YAY! That's so wonderful. It's good to hear that they are eating and ENJOYING it as they should.

There was something else I was going to mention. Have you ever heard of "social eaters"? I've heard the term over the years and was wondering if perhaps this might be something to look into. But apparently the kids have decided that food is a good thing ...and they'll eat when they are good and ready!

Bassets are stubborn little things, aren't they?!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.