Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had them for just one month. Both are in good health. Stickers is alittle on the thin side because she is SO high energy. The breeder was feeding them Diamond Lamb & Rice. I just don't feel comfortable feeding them Diamond anything. That is just how I feel. Anyway, I weaned them off that onto Hills Science Diet Lamb & Rice. They have been picy eaters since coming here. Now, they are not eating for an entire day at a time. Both of them. He goes out to the grass, eats some and vomits. The breeder said it's because his stomach is empty. She is right on. Everytime he does eat, this doesn't happen. I need to switch to something that they will like. Anyone have a VERY picky eater at home??????

They have adjusted fine in every way but the food. She told me to stick it out and not change food but it is so hard to see them not eat. They were eating a dry Lamb & Rice for the first year so I don't understand. Do they taste that different????? I don't believe they are playing games. They are both so sweet and ready to please that that kind of behavior just doesn't fit their personality. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
With our lab many years ago, he was eating Purina when we first got him. He had terrible gas and allergies with it, so the vet recommended a Hills Science Diet food. He did not like it at all. He just kind of picked at it, which was very unusual for him. So we tried a bag of Nutro Natural lamb and rice, and he was back to inhaling his food.

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like they might not like that food very much. Do they like to eat treats? Maybe you could try a small bag of a different brand and see if it makes a difference.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have they been eating it and just stopped all of a sudden? Whenever I change their food, I try to mix it with what they've been eating for a few days to keep from them having any digestive issues such as diarrhea, gas, etc. I think I'd try a small bag of something else to see but if they did it again, I 'd stick it out. Dogs won't starve themselves and have always been told that they'll eat when they get hungry enough.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ditto here. I have Tummy on Wellness. He loves it. Wasn't there something about (Diamond) or am I having a senior moment?? Maybe still in systemfrom when u Brought them to live with U? Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toby used to not eat for 20 hrs at a time, when i would get nervous, he would eat???????????

Anyway, When i got Simon the rescue were feeding him wellness, which I wanted to use something else, He ate it at first, probably because he was starving, but then not so much
I have him on California Natural, lamb and brown rice It has fewer ingredients than alot of foods He loves it, his coat is beautiful, and he does very well on it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
When we first got Oliver he was eating a different food and we gradually changed him to Science Diet because that is what our other BH had eaten. Oliver would eat it for a while and then not be interested in it. Eventually I just assumed he didn't like it and changed it. He is now eating Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Adult and loves it, they also have a lamb and rice version out now.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We just gradually switched Bogie over from puppy food to Nutro Natural Choice Adult Lamb and Rice and he is gobbling it down and licking the bowl. It has no corn products to worry about and none of the chemical additive/preservatives that are not good for dogs that are in many of the foods. When we had Bubba he did not like Science Diet Lamb and Rice either. Must be the taste. I would try a different brand and see what happens.

[ March 12, 2006, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: BubbaLeroy ]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! Seems like several of our Bassets don't care for the taste of Science Diet. I am use to Maggie Mae. She would eat everything and anything you put in her bowl. I figured out today they are just being picky! I had a small free sample bag of Purina One Lamb & Rice. I put that down and they ate probably 3 pieces of kibble each and walked away. They immediately walked over to the biscuit jar! I was only giving them each 2 small ones a day. After they ate their meals. Maggie Mae would gobble her food and run to the biscuit jar for dessert. These two are apparantly not wanting to eat first. I will try a small bag of Nutro since so many people I've talked to here and elsewhere seem to have good results with it. I'll keep everyone posted. I just worry because they are only one year old and still growing. To answer some questions. They never ate that good from the time I started the Hills. I just thought it was adjusting to new surroundings after living with the breeder for a year. I thought if I didn't give in they would come around. They eat about every third meal okay, but not enough. I will try the Nutro tomorrow. Wish me luck!!! This is driving me crazy!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DEFINITELY try the Nutro "Ultra" ...they have several different lines within the Nutro brand but they guarantee that your dog will like the taste of the Ultra. My two woof it down. Even my new Dixie loved it. Of course, I mix a 1/4 cup of goodies with it at dinner time: cooked ground turkey. They eat it dry, though. It must taste good.

Belly was picky at first. It took a while for us to get around to the Nutro. We started with the Nutro Max and moved onto the Ultra when they came out with it.

Don't forget the "Beneful". Dogs seem to like that too but it's not a high-end brand. I think it has more by-products. MIght be good in a pinch, though.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just re-read your post. The "every third meal" thing is familiar. That's sort of what Belly did when he didn't like something. He'd eat it maybe twice ...then he'd walk away. I didn't force it because I wanted him to like his food. I enjoy my meals ...so why shouldn't he? I wanted his mealtime to be satisfying so I kept trying until I found something he gobbled up. It was the Nutro. I knew it was a keeper when he ate it several meals in a row and didn't walk away.

Good luck.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, we took "the kids" to PetSmart this afternoon to buy a small (5 pound) bag of Nutro Lamb & Rice. We got the Nutro Natural Choice Adult Lamb & Rice. The dogs had a great time. The store was exceptionally crowded with a training class just ending. They got tons of pets and belly rubs!! We got the bag home just about 4:30 which is about dinner time. I made the biggest fuss!!! WOW, look at what Mommy has!! The tails were wagging! I put some in their bowl, both sniffed it and WALKED AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!! One hour plus later, nothing!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't figure this out! I WILL not spoon feed them or add any table food. Maggie Mae never got table food, neither did my German Shepherd. I just will not do that. They lived with the breeder for one year and ate dog food. Diamond Lamb & Rice, dry kibble!!! I can't figure this out. Maybe they ate their because they lived with 7 other Bassets?? They are together, doing GREAT in every other way. I will call the breeder tomorrow and see if she has any other suggestions. I know they will not starve but how long can they go before it becomes unhealthy???????

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine are picky, but then will eat anything you hand them. I have to switch brands and flavors all the time. I have to switch dry brands with each new bag, and buy 8 styles of canned food, or they won't eat it.
They will skip a meal, and after eating the that meal later, they want the second meal.
There is no pleasing them.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you sure she didn't add something to it? Did she say they ate dry kibble only? Just curious.

On a long shot ...do you think it might be their bowls?

Have you put just a little warm water on it, to get the flavors going? I just can't imaging Bassets that won't eat, especially puppies.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't add anything it will just start sometrhing they are young healthy dogs they won't starve themselves they will eat I bet within 36 hrs (i hope :D )

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ummmmm!!The bowls might be it. Bubba didn't like drinking or eating out of plastic type bowls. We had gotten him one of those rectangular ear bowls to keep their ears out of the water which was plastic, and he would walk up, sniff and walk away. Put down a glass or ceramic bowl and he would lap away. The plastic ones may retain odors. Bogie doesn't seem to care, so far anyway and he eats or drinks out of anything.

Also when we first got Bubba at eight months he went three days without touching his food. He would walk up to the bowl sniff, walk away and just look at us. We were even giving his the food the breeder said he was eating. We called the vet and she told us no treats, put food down for 15 minutes, if he didn't eat remove it until next feeding time. To hang in there and that she had never had a dog deliberately starve itself to death, yet. If I remember right on day four he finally ate.

[ March 12, 2006, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: BubbaLeroy ]

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I've never had a dog who liked Science Diet. I don't know why. Their cat food is good, but their dog food don't fly around here.

I wouldn't worry about them not eating. Biscuit used to like to eat 2-3 in the morning. ? Yogi kind of hoards his food, leaving it sometimes for almost a day --- then POOF it's gone. His eating schedule is very unpredictable. Lady, meanwhile, would eat all day and night, all I can give her, if I let her.

I let my guys free feed. I don't give them all they can eat (although Lady would love that) --- I just out it down and leave it til it's gone, kind of watching to make sure one of them isn't hogging it all.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone for all your ideas. I will try a ceramic bowl. The breeder absolutely didn't add anything to their dry kibble. I already tried adding some warm water. It helped but not for very long. I even tried putting the food on a plastic tray, then a rubber type tray, then the ground, finally the carpet. No difference!! I am going to try regular Nutro and forget the Lamb & Rice. Maybe that will work.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a good idea ...to try another "flavor". This whole thing could be as simple as they are just sick of Lamb and Rice. You never know with this breed. they are stubborn.

Try one of the formulas with Turkey or Chicken. I think Nutro is mostly chicken.

Those little stinkers! They BOTH walk away??! That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. I do hope they eat soon, though. This has to be frustrating.

Keep us informed. And good luck!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all, I don't know if this will help you and obviously don't want your hound(s) to starve - but the Lexie had huge skin problems up to about 5 months and the vet told us to put her onto Hills puppy food from the Ukanuba she was used to. She didn't like it at all in the beginning but she is eating it now - even if it's only 1 /2 bowls a day.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts