Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've known this day was going to come for quite some time, but it makes it no less heartbreaking. Today, we had to send Rusty to the Bridge. We adopted him about 12 years ago, from Springer Spaniel Rescue - he was a failed gun dog. After being dumped at a rescue centre, his previous owners were traced, and they confirmed that they left him because, despite being from champion gun dog stock, he ran at the sound of a gun shot, and when he did pick up shot game, he wouldn't let go.

He's been a wonderful and loyal friend over the past 12 years, even if he was terrible at playing fetch.

About 4 years ago, he started developing benign skin tumours, which, whilst unsightly, were harmless. However, we were warned that if any formed internally, there would be problems. In this past 4 years, he's undergone so many operations to remove internal lumps and bumps, and the rate of growth was increasing. We felt it was unfair to him to keep putting him through the stress of so many operations, and the decision was made to put the pain and stress to an end.

Rusty, we never wanted you to be a gun dog, or to bring us pheasants. All we wanted was a loving cuddly family dog, and you gave us that, in spades. I'm going to miss you so much, as are your little brothers. (Even though Snoopy has already moved into your bed, and Henry has taken your toys). You were playful and bouncy until near the end, and you put up with so much from the BratDogs. I'm going to miss your eye-rolls whenever they did something silly. I hope that you're as good a big brother to all those bassets at the Bridge as you were to Snoopy & Henry.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'm so sorry. :( Rusty sounds like a lovely dog, and he was so lucky to have you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
We are so sorry to hear that. We know how hard it is to part with them. We had to make a decision for our Lilly as well, she was 16. It looks like you gave Rusty a wonderful home and that he was a wonderful dog.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I know how hard it is to make the decision to send one to the Bridge. No matter if they are sick, that decision is one that changes you. My thoughts are with you. RIP Rusty.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
[He had a sweet face--sounds like you had a wonderful companion for 12 years.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. We are all here for you.

~Heather

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the fact that he had a wonderful 12 years with you. He was a beautiful boy and I know he will be missed.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The most loving decision we make for our furry friends is also the most hearbreaking. You did the right thing for Rusty.

{{{{{Kezzy&Snoops}}}}}

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone, it's so kind of you all.

Today's been a strange day.

First of all, the feelings we have today validate our decision to get Snoopy. A dogless house would have been unbearable. It also validated our decision to adopt Henry. Rusty and Snoopy were very close, so much so that the only time Snoopy howled was when Rusty was away having his operations. We weren't sure about taking on a third dog, thinking it might be just too much, but Henry's such a livewire. Snoopy started today very subdued -, he can't find his big brother. But his little brother has been taking toys out of the corner, and encouraging him to play. I've been hugging both babies lots today.

I sat in the arm chair and wept this morning when I accidentally filled a third bowl of dog food bowl, but quickly got pounced on by two wriggly drooly licky bassets. It's hard, but with the help of my little boys, things will get better.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm so very sorry. Take care, Belinda.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you everyone, it's so kind of you all.

Today's been a strange day.

First of all, the feelings we have today validate our decision to get Snoopy. A dogless house would have been unbearable. It also validated our decision to adopt Henry. Rusty and Snoopy were very close, so much so that the only time Snoopy howled was when Rusty was away having his operations. We weren't sure about taking on a third dog, thinking it might be just too much, but Henry's such a livewire. Snoopy started today very subdued -, he can't find his big brother. But his little brother has been taking toys out of the corner, and encouraging him to play. I've been hugging both babies lots today.

I sat in the arm chair and wept this morning when I accidentally filled a third bowl of dog food bowl, but quickly got pounced on by two wriggly drooly licky bassets. It's hard, but with the help of my little boys, things will get better.[/b]

Sorry for your loss. We had this in June when we had our 11 year old boxer put to sleep.

We had her longer than my younger son and it really is like losing one of the family. Molly was totally lost on her own for the first couple of weeks and just looked so sad all the time. Getting Maya has helped a lot. Originally we were going to get another boxer, but figured we would always compare her to Amber.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts