Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we went to the Vet for a checkup. Rusty has been having quite a bit of drainage from his incision :( I've been cleaning the floor and him and doing lots of laundry. Gosh, I'm exhausted! She said he is draining because he is reacting slightly to his wire/metal stitches. She gave me cleanser to wash the area with, more antibiotics and decided to wrap him to help absorb some of the leakage. Poor baby. I am trying to keep Stickers & Jasmine out of his xpen but he is getting VERY restless. He does come out for short periods of time. I still have to feed him several small meals of his regular food for another week. She would like me to feed him 6 small meals a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means all day! I am doing about 4!

Here he is in his wrap!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Poor Rusty!!! Poor Patti!!! I do remember giving Bogie those small meals, and it seemed like all we did for the day was dog care with the multiple meals (6 AM, 9:30 AM, Noon, 3:30 PM, 6:30 PM, and 10 PM) getting the meds down, and potty trips. It was a bear for awhile. Just hang in there, and hopefully he'll be back to the old Rusty very soon. Heal up quickly, Rusty!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Some friends of mine had a dog who reacted to stitches, too. It took a looooonnnnnggggg time for him to heal, and I think he had to have a couple of additional procedures. Hopefully, Rusty will recover quickly now. Is he on antibiotics?

I, too, remember those small meals for Edith Ann following rock surgery. Thank goodness she held off until I was home for the summer!!!! All I did that first 'week off' was feed the dog, walk the dog, and get no sleep. Her first night home, I threw a mattress on the floor in the family room and slept right next to her crate the first three nights. Seems to me I took a few naps during the day, too. It was just like having an infant in the house again, but I'm much older now :blink: !!!!

I know you'll keep us up to date on Rusty's progress. Meantime, cyberhugs to all of you.....

·
Registered
289 Posts
You almost need to hire another person to take care of bassets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts