Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my Husband took the kids out to do their business. Rusty was sniffing the mulch near the one palm tree. My Husband hollered for him to come along with Stickers back in the house. 5 minutes later he puked yellow bile with grass. No big deal until he did it 3 more times. All morning he was uncomfortable and acting odd. He would walk a little and sudden go into a sit. Alot of swallowing and stomach churning. We called the Vet and took him this afternoon. I knew something was wrong. He was tender in his abdomen on examination. The film showed a huge rock in between his small and large intestine. I am a nervous wreck!!!!!!!! We got at 5:30 to see him. Please drool for my boy!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Poor Rusty! Do you have that lava rock mulch? I was watching one of the emergency vet shows this weekend and they had to take a piece of lava rock mulch out of a dog's intestine. There's danger lurking everywhere. I hope the surgery went fine and he's his old self in no time.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh, Patti!!! :( I can't believe that Rusty has joined the "rock eating club". :( Poor guy, and we do know what you guys are going through, and Rusty, too! As having experienced this twice with Bogie we will be glad to help and give any advice that you need. He will be OK, and they do heal up rather quickly from the surgery. In two weeks Bogie was back to his bouncy self. Keep me posted!!
Bogie sends lots of healing drool!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh my goodness!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear this. I know you're a wreck. We'll all be waiting to hear from you. Love and prayers for Rusty.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Poor Rusty! :( Best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Poor Rusty & all of you. What is it with bassets and rocks!!

Hope the surgery went well and that is recovery is quick. Also hope he changes his diet.

Drool for Rusty being sent.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: We went to see Rusty after dinnertime tonight. He is doing okay. He was VERY groggy and on an IV drip. He was wrapped in a heating blanket. His temperature was a little low but they said this can happy after sedation. He looked SO SO SAD :( :( :( He did try to get out of the cage to follow us down the hallway. Here is a picture of this rock! I have no idea how or where he got it?? It is not from our yard or anything I've seen around here??? We will go see him in the morning and hopefully bring him home by dinner tomorrow. I will keep him in an xpen with an E collar on away from Stickers. She will definitely want to smell his incision. That is a huge no no. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
465 Posts
We're really sorry to hear about this! Please keep us posted. Poor Rusty! Elmer and Button send healing drool!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
We are thinking of Rusty & hope he recovers quickly!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis and I send lots of best wishes for a speedy and boring recovery. (In the surgery business we want everyone to have a boring recovery!)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ugh. The longest night EVER awaits now. I'm sure he will be ok.

And it's so painful to look at these hounds when they don't feel well. They look sad enough as it is!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts