Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My scout is 11 and she lost the use of her hind legs suddenly last Wednesday. We got her to a neurologist the same afternoon and they diagnosed a ruptured disc. They did an MRI and surgery that evening and she was out by 7pm. Today is Sunday and we've been to see her every day. She is still not walking on her own (is with sling support) but has some motor skills and seems to be slowly improving day by day. They are optimistic for her to be able to walk again. She is supposed to come home tomorrow and will be on strict rest in an x-pen for a long time. Here's the hard part, I'm pregnant and due Saturday! Am having a very hard time being excited about baby when I'm so worried about scout. Plus, she's 50lbs and will have to be carried outside to do her biz (due to stairs) for quite some time. I know she'll be ok and my husband will take good care of her, but she's my first 'baby' and I'm so, so scared about how this will go. All I want is for scout to walk again and I can rest assured. Any words of wisdom would be so appreciated. :cry:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
It can take weeks-months for them to regain motor function following surgery, so you'll need to be consistent about her physical therapy and rehab. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Sorry about scout-you sure have a lot on your plate with the new baby and all. Just a few suggestions that may or may not make any sense for your situation:

Have her stay at the vets, with you visiting, until after the baby is born.

Build or buy a ramp for your stairs.

See if some of the vet techs will give you some help for a few weeks.

Have a trustworthy dog knowledgeable friend come and help with getting scout out to potty, etc.

Ask your veterinarian if she/he has any ideas. I know my vet has had to manage a baby, a newly adopted toddler and various dogs, cats, cows and goats of her own so I bet she would have suggestions for a client in a situation similar to yours.

You've come to the right place. We may not have all the answers but alway can offer support and encouragement. Hang in there!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I have a very large german shepherd girl who was "down" for a couple of weeks, due to vestibular disease. although there are some significant differences in our situations, there are some similarities. namely --- i had to try to get her around, and she's a very big girl.

first, Barbara is absolutely right about the ramp.

ask your vet about halters, as well, and whether she thinks use of a towel or similar around the body of scout would be at all acceptable. if she does, ask her to show you how to do it.

consider getting her settled close to the door she will use to go potty --- which should also be the door where the ramp is. now isn't the time to worry about unsightliness. having her conveniently located will make all the differebce for her and for you.

and barbara's also right about enlisting the help of friends, vet people, whoever --- whoever is gentle and patient and understands why she needs certain handling right now.

also ... lots of laundry detergent, just in case! and stuff for messes, just in case!!

good luck and don't be scared! before you know it, you'll be an old hand at both babies AND dogs!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I went through this with a previous dog. The recovery does take a long time, but it was worth it. I did keep up her physiotherapy and range of motion exercises, and walked her with a towel sling. They now actually make a sling for this purpose. I found that Myrtle could run before she could walk, and she could walk before she could stand still (guess the forward motion helped her keep her balance). Afterwards she always walked like she was coming home from a bar.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
All the advice given sounds excellent. I have never been in this situation so I can't offer anything else. Just wanted to let you know that we will be thinking of you and saying prayers that everything works out.

Chris, Elvis, Georgia, Ginger, Maggie & Crissy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for your advice and feedback. The vet called and scout stood to greet them when they came in this morning - yay! She gets to come home today! My parents are going to see to her when I go into labor so she won't be alone more than a few hours at a time and my husband will come home at lunch before then to make sure she gets outside midday to go potty. Things are looking up for scout! We'll keep you posted on how she does today. Thanks everyone!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts