Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the site for quite a while and since the last time I was on we had added a new baby basset to the family. Marigold is now nine months old and we have a real problem, she won't stay in the yard even though we have an underground containment system which works great for our two year old basset Buttercup. We have tried to train her according to the training directions that come with the system (we have even tried using our own training method) she will run right through the fence. She either doesn't care about the little shocky she gets or she can't feel it. The collar works and the fence works. Right now we have to have her tied up and she cries if big sister does not stay with her. A traditional fence isn't an option for us (she will cry if fenced in also, we have tried in neighbors yard big sister was with her) it is cost prohibitive. Any ideas?

·
Registered
289 Posts
See what the company says. Do they make more powerful collars?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
What brand is your fence? We have a Petsafe system. Petsafe makes a 'stubborn dog' shock collar, which I assume has a stronger shock (it's a much bigger reciever :blink: ). We also bought extra-long prongs for Moe's collar because of all the loose skin on his neck. The shorter prongs used for normal dogs never made contact with his neck. When we replaced Tally's reciever last year it came with a set of both long and short prongs (which I thought was a wonderful idea - eight years ago we had to purchase Moe's prongs separately).

If your fence is the "Invisible Fence" brand perhaps they have something comparable you can try?

Also, when we trained Moe the Petsafe training video said that it can take up to three months before a dog can be considered 'trained', and even then the training needs to be reinforced periodicly. Also, they warn about dogs who can sometimes run through the fence when properly motivated (say, if the neighbor's cat is teasing from across the treet or if a loose dog wanders by). We kept Moe supervised outside for quite some time before I felt confident that he would stay in the yard. To this day I STILL check on him through the windows when he's outside. And, eight years later, I still see him wandering the edges of the woods 'testing' his boundaries from time to time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts