Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else's dogs ruffs/hackles stand on end when they're playing? When Doppler and Virga just absolutely go at it, they both end up with their hackles raised. It's funny to see. And I know they're just playing so I'm not worried about that. I'm just curious.

And Doppler's ruff extends from the back of his neck down to the base of his tail. With a ridge of hair standing up all along his spine. My husband and I've never seen a dog with hackles like that.

I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Does anyone else's dogs ruffs/hackles stand on end when they're playing
I had a recent foster that did so. Do not be alarmed, raised hackles are often associated with agression but it should not be. As body language it is not a sign of agression only arousal.

Understand what dogs are "saying
Dogs that are aroused will often have their hair stand on end, usually the "hackles," the areas over the shoulders and just before the tail. This doesn't necessarily mean aggression, just that they are on high alert. Some dogs get "raised hackles" more easily than others; it's like some people who get red in the face very easily.

The raised hackles never effected how the other dogs reacted to her and played.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
My wiener dog had hackles (is that what they're called?), just like how you describe Doppler's! :) Yes, it was quite funny, giving a lot of meaning to "hair standing on end." It would only happen when he saw another dog.

Never seen it in my basset yet, but waiting for the day that might happen?
(Like waiting for the day when he might chase something....?)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ella's do! It's actually just recently (last few months) that they started raising, hers go down her back too.

Her and Ringo play very rough with each other and hers get raised pretty frequently when they are playing, usually when Ringo is chasing her and barking.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do not be alarmed, raised hackles are often associated with agression but it should not be. As body language it is not a sign of agression only arousal.
Yep Mikey. Not worried at all! I know they're just playing. It's just so funny looking!:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts