Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just noticed that along the sides of Ruby's bottom jaw (and lower lip if she had one), the fur is stained green! We're not sure if this is from grass she might have secretively eaten or if it's some sort of yeast infection(?). We've already applied soap and water to clean it and malasab pledgettes (which is for yeast) but the green is still there.

Does this sound familiar? Ideas? :huh:

Thanx,
Janice, servant mommy to Ruby

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've seen this in a couple of my bassets over the years. It's called lip fold pyoderma. It's an infection and the green color is probably from a particular bacteria, such as pseudomonas, that give off a green pigment. It needs to be treated by a veterinarian.

Edited to add, only a veterinarian can give you a diagnosis. I just reported what I've seen in my bassets. This might not be lip fold pyoderma. If it's a bacteria, treating it with products that kill yeast won't make it go away.
If she's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping and acting ok she'll be ok until you see the vet. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Poor Ruby!!! Jackie sends tons of healing drool and hopes that the vet can make her green mouth go away. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Don't have anything to add except we will be sending drool for the sweet girl-

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the good thoughts and healing drool. She has bacteria infections on both sides of her mouth (we only saw it on one side) and she has irritation dark pink area under the middle of her lower lip (if she had a lip). All aggravated but no cut.

She's on twice a day antibiotics and I'm to use malaseb pledgettes on each side of her mouth 3x daily. The antibiotics are for 2 weeks.

Now I'm off to the doctor...........

..............the fun never ends. NOT! :lol:

Thanx for your concern for little Ruby

1 - 5 of 5 Posts